Guidance to Community Events for Wineries and Breweries

If your tasting room is open to the public, a permit or permit exemption is required to serve beer or wine.

Print version (PDF: 122 Kb)

Do I need a Temporary Food Facility permit?

Please answer the questions below to determine whether your tasting room requires a Temporary Food Facility (TFF) permit to participate in a community event.

Question 1

Will any food* (except wine/beer) be sold, served, sampled, given away or otherwise provided at the event?

* Food is defined as any item including beverages (excepting wine/beer) that can be ingested, whether prepared on-site, prepackaged, bottled or canned.

Yes - Go on to Question 2

No - TFF permit NOT required

Question 2

Will the food be served off the premises, for example, on a public sidewalk/street in front of the tasting room?

Yes - TFF permit required

No - Go on to Question 3

Question 3

Does your winery have a current extensive or moderate preparation level food facility permit?

Yes - TFF permit NOT required

No - Go on to Question 4

Question 4

Does your winery have a current minimal preparation level food facility permit?

Yes - TFF permit may be required*

No - TFF permit required

*A TFF permit is required if the food provided at the event is at a preparation level higher than the current food facility permit. Please review the description of preparation levels:

Temporary Food Facility Definitions and Operating Requirements

Event Requirements

If food will be served outdoors, a tent or booth to provide overhead protection is required. Sides are required when active food preparation is conducted within.

If hiring a caterer, you must still abide by the permit requirements. The caterer must have a valid permit, verified by Sonoma County Environmental Health. 

Contact Information

Public Health Division
County of Sonoma
Business Hours
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Contact us by Phone
Office Location
625 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
38.441823, -122.7137698

Current Fee Schedule

See Fee Schedule

Dollar sign green

Fees for Fiscal Year 2021-2022 for all Environmental Health programs

Report a Complaint, Hazard or Nuisance

The California Retail Food Code

CalCode establishes uniform statewide health and sanitation standards for retail food facilities.

Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Reports

Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Reports


The California Dept. of Public Health monitors the water along the California coast to provide information on the safety of eating shellfish.