• veteran ipad

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I add the Veteran’s label to my California driver license?

Bring your discharge papers (DD-214) to our office, and we’ll give you the Veteran Status Verification form. Submit the completed form in-person at the Department of Motor Vehicles, along with a completed application for a driver license, identification card or commercial driver license. On your application, be sure to mark that you wish the veteran designation on your license.

You pay a small fee for the specially printed license. You must also pay all fees and complete the requirements for a driver’s license.

Am I eligible for dental benefits?

If you weren’t given a dental examination and treatment within 90 days of military discharge, you can apply for dental care. You must apply within 180 days after you leave the service. This time limit does not apply to veterans with dental disabilities resulting from combat wounds or service injuries.

Is there financial help to pay college tuition for my kids?

The State of California offers a Fee Tuition Waiver program to help pay for college. Call our office to find out if you are eligible.

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs also helps the children of veterans who are 100% disabled due to their military service, or children of military members killed during service or who died of disabilities related to their service.

I can’t find my military discharge papers. How can I get them and how long does it take?

A The Veterans Service Office can help you complete the form to get a copy of lost discharge papers. The form is sent to the National Archives. You can also request your service records online, by mail or by Fax, through the National Archives. You usually receive a copy in three to four months.

I have Type 2 Diabetes and was exposed to Agent Orange during my service. Do I have to prove the connection to get disability benefits?

If you developed diabetes mellitus (Type 2) and were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides during military service, you do not need to prove a connection between the disease and your military service to be eligible for benefits.

When I die, what benefits can my spouse apply for?

If your death is due to a cause related to your military service, your spouse may apply for a monthly payment for your loss.

Another benefit your spouse may be eligible for is the Non-service Connected Disability Pension. You must have served during one of the Wartime Periods (such as WWII, Korea, etc.) and your spouse's monthly income must fall below a specific amount.

A surviving spouse may get a burial benefit if, at the time of your death, you:

Contact Information

Veterans Service Office
Human Services Department
Business Hours
Tuesday – Wednesday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Phone: (707) 565-5960, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Press 8 to leave voicemail.

Email: vso@schsd.org. Please allow two business days for a response.

Contact us by Phone
3725 Westwind Boulevard
First Floor
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
38.510185, -122.796579

Connect with the VSO

veteran uniform patches 75px

Call Monday-Friday with questions: (707) 565-5960