Pregnancy and Women's Health
Every healthy pregnancy starts with a healthy person. Learn about supports and resources to help you stay healthy and well before, between, and after pregnancy.
Sonoma County Maternal Child and Adolescent Health is dedicated to promoting physical, social, and emotional health and well-being for pregnant persons, children, adolescents, and their families through information, education, and resources. We are committed to inclusion, diversity, and anti-racist values. All community members are welcome and safe to use our services.
Schedule a prenatal appointment with a doctor as soon as you think you may be pregnant. Even better, see your doctor before you are pregnant to talk about preparing for pregnancy.
- Medi-Cal offers presumptive eligibility coverage for pregnant persons and local providers will see you right away (many will even help you with your Medi-Cal application). Medi-Cal coverage will continue through the 12th month after the end of your pregnancy.
- Get Health Insurance/ Find a Doctor This web page offers information and links to resources for getting help to apply for Medi-Cal.
- Vaccinations during Pregnancy - Pregnant women should be vaccinated for pertussis and influenza, as well as being up to date on COVID-19 booster.
- Dental Care - It is important to see a dentist during pregnancy to prevent infections. Pregnancy-only Medi-Cal now covers dental services for a full 12 months postpartum.
- My Birth Matters - Learn about your birthing options and tips for a healthy birth.
- MothertoBaby - Confidential information about the effects of drugs and medications during pregnancy, available by phone, text, email or chat.
- Text4Baby - Sign up to get free messages each week on your cell phone to help you through your pregnancy and your baby’s first year.
- Paths to parenthood for LGBTQ+ persons. Help to understand the options, and how to optimize the process along the way from Fertility IQ.
You care for others, remember to care for yourself, self-care is not selfish!
- Well Woman Visit - All women should have an annual health exam, don't have a doctor? Visit the web page below for help finding one:
- Get health Insurance/ Find a Doctor
- Birth Control - Learn more about birth control and family planning and which option is best for you. Find out where to get support for emergency contraception and termination.
- California Abortion Access - This website is a safe space for you to find abortion information.
- Get a Pregnancy Test - It is important to see a doctor as early as possible if you think you may be pregnant.
- Sexually Transmitted Infection - Learn about testing and treatment, and risks and symptoms.
- Women’s Vaccinations - Protect yourself from preventable diseases, find out which vaccinations you should have, and when.
- Dental Care - Your teeth are an important part of your health, visit the dentist every 6 months! Your dentist is your biggest ally for good oral health. Smile California can help you find a dentist if you don't have one.
- Every Woman California Resources for women and people who may become pregnant. Explore this site to learn more about your health and get simple tips to stay healthy every day.
- Resources for LGBTQ+ from Every Woman California
- Every Woman Counts - For free breast cancer and cervical cancer screening.
Mental Health Support
One in five women in California experience depression sometime during pregnancy or after birth. Learn more about perinatal mood disorders and get help when you need it. Call or text to speak with a professional counselor in English or Spanish anytime 24 hours a day/7 days a week: 1-800-HELP4MOMS.
- Perinatal Mood Disorder Prevention Local programs to help support you and your family during and after pregnancy; someone to listen and understand your struggles, without judgement or shame.
- Postpartum Depression You are not alone. Help for moms, dads, family members and loved ones. Online support groups and loss and grief resources.
- Maternal Mental Health Now Emotional Wellness Self-Help Tool, designed to help those who want to become pregnant, are pregnant, or just welcomed a baby, understand and manage perinatal depression and anxiety.
- Substance Use Are you pregnant or the parent of a young child? Have you recently used alcohol or other drugs? We can help.
- Substance Use Disorder Recovery programs are available for you, or you can call 707-565-7450 if you need information.
- Crisis Services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we can provide crisis intervention, assessment, medication and supportive care for individuals in an acute mental health crisis.
- Sonoma County Behavioral Health
- Suicide Prevention Hotline Talk to someone 24 hours a day 7 days a week, call 988 or 855-587-6373 for English or Spanish. Crisis support is free and confidential for persons having thoughts of suicide, as well as friends and family worried about a loved one.
The best way to give your baby a healthy start when you are pregnant is to take good care of yourself.
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Cal Fresh)
- Farmers Markets that accept Cal Fresh
- Healthy Eating and Drinking
- Redwood Empire Food Bank
- MyPlate for Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Learn more about eating healthy, get a MyPlate Plan, or ask about supplements. It's all here!