Skip to Content

Department of Human Services

Division of Food and Nutrition Benefits

Food and Nutrition Benefits


Emergency Allotments are ending effective February 2023 and will be issued on March 26, 2023. Starting in April you will no longer get the additional CalFresh benefit. You will continue to receive the regular CalFresh benefit amount put onto your EBT card between the 1st and 10th of each month. Your regular benefit amount is based on your circumstances, including your household size, income, and deductions. As this is a required change, there are no hearing rights related to the loss of Emergency Allotment benefits.

Visit HERE for additional community food resources.

For more information on Emergency Allotments ending visit the CA Department of Social Services (CDSS) at CalFresh COVID-19 

CalFresh stretches your food budget

Known as CalFresh in California, this food and nutrition program is part of a federal government program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

provides monthly benefits to help you buy groceries you need to be healthy. Benefits are added to a debit-style plastic card, called an Electronic Benefit Transfer or EBT card, that eligible individuals and families use to pay for food at grocery stores, convenience stores and many local farmers markets.

CalFresh recipients can also use their EBT cards to purchase groceries online for delivery through Amazon, Wal-Mart and selected retailers through Instacart. Delivery fees cannot be paid with CalFresh benefits and an alternate payment type must be used. Additionally, there are limited pick-up locations through Safeway's Drive-up and Go. For more information, click here. You can order food online that you would normally buy with your EBT card in the store. CalFresh benefits do not cover the cost of delivery, though Instacart and WalMart have memeberships that can be purchased and will waive delivery fees. EBT Card holders are eligible for a reduced cost Amazon Prime Membership, which eliminates the delivery fee on most items and grants access to other Prime benefits.

  • For retail locations where EBT is accepted go to the EBT Locator.
  • The county will never ask for your EBT card information or PIN and you should never share this information as it could lead to stolen benefits. EBT scams can occur via text, email, fraudulent website, or phone call. If you have experienced suspicious EBT activity, please report the occurrence to the EBT Helpline at 877-328-6977 or select the option to speak to a worker.

Connect to Services or Submit Documents

Hours at both 2550 Paulin Drive, Santa Rosa, and South County Center, 5350 Old Redwood Highway, Suite 100, Petaluma: 8 a.m.- 4 p.m., Monday-Friday. 

Look for questions and answers about changes in benefits on the Human Services Department Home Page first. For additional information, please call 877-699-6868.

Get Services from Home

Online: Telephone/Fax: Mail:

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents

  • Apply for
    Covered California or

  • Submit Reports & Documents
  • Apply for CalFresh

Service Center: 
Monday – Friday
9:00 AM – 3:30 PM

  • Report Changes
  • Request Replacement EBT Card

(707) 565-2929

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits 

Economic Assistance
P.O. Box 1539
Santa Rosa, CA 95402

  • Report Changes
  • Apply for Benefits
  • Submit Reports & Documents

Outdoor Office Drop Boxes:

  • Economic Assistance
    2550 Paulin Drive
    Santa Rosa
  • South County Center
    5350 Old Redwood Highway Suite 100

Who May Be Eligible?

  • All U.S. citizens who are residents of Sonoma County who meet the guidelines.
  • Children born in the United States, regardless of where their parents were born. 
  • Immigrants who are legal permanent residents, victims of trafficking, U-Visa applicants and holders, and others.
  • Residents who receive SSI or SSP.
  • Students and those who meet the other CalFresh guidelines.
  • You can use the online tool See if I'm Eligible before completing an actual application to estimate your CalFresh Food Eligibility.

For details about eligibility and income rules in English and Spanish, visit the California Department of Social Services website.

Information for Current CalFresh Clients

Even if you've had CalFresh for a while, benefits and rules can change. It's important that you keep in touch with us, and check this site for new information. 

  • Visit Renew Your Benefits to learn how to keep your CalFresh benefits ongoing or make changes to your home address or income.
  • Visit Use Your Benefits for a list of what you can buy with CalFresh, and how and where to use your benefits. 
  • Check CalFresh Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for answers about your benefits, including if you believe you have been impacted by electronic EBT Theft

Replacing CalFresh Benefits
(Disaster or Single Household Misfortune)

Current CalFresh recipients may apply for partial or total replacement of the value of food lost or spoiled if they are affected by any one of the following:
  • a local disaster, such as a fire, flood or earthquake, or
  • a power outage, planned or unexpected, or
  • a household misfortune, such as a house fire, resulting in loss of food purchased with CalFresh benefits.

To apply for replacement benefits, the household has 10 days to report the food loss by phone or in person and to complete a CF 303 form in English or a CF 303 form in Spanish. The replacement benefits may be a partial amount or up to the maximum one-month allotment for the household. Destroyed EBT cards may also be replaced.

Submit the CF 303 form: