6-5 Identity Theft Prevention Program
Approved: Board of Supervisors
Authority: Board of Supervisors and Board of Directors, Community Development Commission Revised Date: July 21, 2009
What’s on this Page
Read Next: Section IV. Risk Assessment
The following definitions apply to the Identity Theft Prevention Program (ITPP).
- “Covered account” means (i) An account that a financial institution or creditor offers or maintains, primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, that involves or is designed to permit multiple payments or transactions, such as a credit card account, mortgage loan, automobile loan, margin account, cell phone account, utility account, checking account, or savings account; and (ii) Any other account that the financial institution or creditor offers or maintains for which there is a reasonably foreseeable risk to customers or to the safety and soundness of the financial institution or creditor from identity theft, including financial, operational, compliance, reputation, or litigation risks.
- “Credit” means the right granted by a creditor to a debtor to defer payment of debt or to incur debts and defer its payment or to purchase property or services and defer payment therefore.
- “Creditor” means any person who regularly extends, renews, or continues credit; any person who regularly arranges for the extension, renewal, or continuation of credit; or any assignee of an original creditor who participates in the decision to extend, renew, or continue credit and includes utility companies and telecommunications companies.
- “Customer” means a person that has a covered account with a creditor.
- “Identity theft” means a fraud committed or attempted using identifying information of another person without authority.
- “Personal Identifying Information” means any name or number that may be used, alone or in conjunction with any other information, to identify a specific person, including any:
- ”Red flag” means a pattern, practice, or specific activity that indicates the possible existence of identity theft.
- “Service provider” means a person that provides a service directly to the County or the SCCDC.
- “Stakeholder Department” means a County department that is impacted by the FACT Act, and the SCCDC. As of March 2009, the impacted departments and the reason that they are impacted are:
|Human Services Dept.|
|Regional Parks Dept.|