4-13 Telework Policy Manual - Section V: Responsibilities
Approved: Board of Supervisors
Authority: Human Resources
Date: May 3, 2022
Read next: VI. Administration »
- Department Heads (or designee):
- Evaluate and determine which positions are eligible to telework including the amount of allowable telework.
- Ensure managers and supervisors are advised of the Telework Policy and the use of Telework Agreements.
- Ensure employees who have submitted a telework request receive notification of approval/denial within 10 County business days. Ensure managers and supervisors are appropriately communicating with teleworking employees and supervising remote employees and work.
- Ensure that telework arrangements are not negatively impacting operations and services standards.
- Follow the policy guidance, protocols and all local, state and/or federal regulatory guidelines during regular operations and emergencies when considering Telework Agreements.
- Ensure there are internal processes that maintain copies of all signed Telework Agreements in Personnel Files and ensure effective dates are current.
- Submit reports to the County Administrator and Human Resources Director as requested to review telework usage.
- Review Telework Agreement requests submitted by employees.
- Review department operations and identify job duties where telework will be successful to be able to make recommendations to the department head/designee.
- Submit Telework requests to the department head/designee, if required by departmental procedure.
- For approved telework arrangements, review the Telework Policy and Agreement with the employee.
- Ensure telework hours are recorded accurately on employee timecards.
- Ensure regular communication and support for teleworkers, to maintain an engaged direct report/supervisory relationship.
- Provide performance expectations for the teleworker, such as specific assignments and corresponding deadlines and ensure performance expectations and standards are maintained.
- Periodically review the telework arrangement with the employee and affirm its efficacy.
- Coordinate with department IT and other staff regarding approved system and equipment needs.
- If desired, request a telework arrangement to their department head/designee.
- If a telework arrangement is approved, complete, sign and adhere to the Telework Agreement and adhere to all Telework Policy provisions.
- Employees must record and report all of their time accurately on their timecard, including using “Telework” coding.
- Notify their supervisor as soon as possible if the employee experiences constraints that impact their ability to telework such as power/technology failure and make other work arrangements to continue working.
- Employee is required to follow all County and Department rules, policies and procedures, including the County’s Information Technology Use and Security Policy, and position related legal and confidentiality requirement, etc.
- Maintain work performance standards including maintaining professionalism during communications and meetings and keeping interruptions to a minimum.
- Tax implications related to the home workspace are the responsibility of the employee.
- Employee will manage dependent care and/ or personal responsibilities in a manner that allows them to successfully fulfill job responsibilities.
- Not hold in person meetings if the teleworking work site is a residence.
- Employee will ensure that confidential information is kept in a secure manner and is not accessible by others.