- About Us
- Our Leadership Team
- Services Overview
- Mission and Values
- Divisions and Services
- Upstream Investments
- Divisions and Locations
- Employment Agencies
- Human Services FAQ
- Boards, Commissions, & Committees
- Back to Human Services
Report Welfare Fraud
Illegal benefit claims hurt the integrity of our County programs and the clients who are truly eligible and in need of help to meet basic needs for their families, while costing taxpayers money.
To protect Sonoma County Human Services Department benefit programs from false claims, community members can report their concerns about CalFresh, CalWORKS, General Assistance, Medi-Cal or In-Home Supportive Services fraud. Investigations are done by the Special Investigation Unit (SIU). The SIU also receives fraud reports from automated detection systems, benefit eligibility staff and other agencies.
What is Welfare Fraud?
Welfare fraud is against the law and can be prosecuted in court. If convicted, someone may go to jail, have to pay fines or be disqualified from receiving future benefits.
Report your concerns when someone:
- applies for benefits with false information, knowing they are not eligible,
- fails to report income to the Human Services Department,
- fails to report that the parent of their child living in house with them,
- reports that a child is living with them when the child is not, or
- sells his/her benefit amount or service to another person.
Learn more about types of welfare fraud
What Information Do I Report?
SIU needs enough identifying information about the person possibly committing fraud to follow-up with an investigation. At minimum, that information includes:
- The person’s name
- Home Address or Mailing Address
- A brief description of the possible fraud
Other contact information (such as a phone number) is also helpful.
How Do I Report?
Reports are confidential. While reporters can be anonymous, your contact information may help in SIU’s investigation. Investigators speak English or Spanish, and translators in other languages are available.
To report suspected fraud regarding:
- CalWORKs, CalFresh or General Assistance (Cash Aid) programs, call (707) 565-8530.
- Medi-Cal or In-Home Supportive Services, call (800) 822-6222. Reports can also be submitted online to the confidential Stop Medi-Cal Fraud website.