Home and Community-Based Alternatives Waiver Program (HCBA)
An At-Home Alternative to Nursing Homes or Institutional Care
The Home and Community-Based Alternatives Waiver (HCBA) program helps put supportive services in place that allow participants to stay at home.
A social worker and nurse work together to determine the services clients need. The client, family and caregiver partner with the care team to plan and carry out the care management plan. The team has regular contact to help arrange, coordinate and monitor recommended medical and community services, including nursing care and some personal care services.
Who is Eligible for HCBA?
- People of all ages, from children to older adults
- Eligible for Medi-Cal (married couples and children may be eligible under special rules)
- Has major functional difficulties and need extensive personal care and/or nursing services
- Has a strong support system that can help coordinate daily care
How to Apply
You or your caregiver can complete and submit the online application or call 707-565-4636.
The client, family member or a health care provider can complete the HCBA application.
There are two options to complete an application:
- Complete an online form:
- Fill out a paper copy and return it by fax or mail
Once completed, send in your application:
- Mail: Home and Community Based Alternatives
Human Services Department Adult & Aging Division
3725 Westwind Boulevard, Suite 101
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
- Fax: (707) 565-5398
Please note: The number of clients HCBA can support is limited. Currently, there is a waiting list to receive services.