Skip to Content

Department of Human Services

Adult and Aging Division

Veteran Benefits

VSO Closure

The VSO is closed for all services Mon 2/27/23 – Friday 03/03/2023 for a mandatory training conference.

Veterans Service Office staff can help you learn about the many benefit programs available to U.S. veterans.

They Include:

  • Monthly payments if a disability was caused or worsened during service
  • Pension programs
  • Health care/Dental care
  • Help paying education costs, finding a school or training program, and career counseling
  • Job retraining when a service-connected disability keeps you from working
  • Obtaining military records, awards and medals
  • Loans to build, buy, improve or refinance a home
  • Life insurance
  • County-issued Veteran Identification card for ID and discounts on goods and services
  • Veteran Label on your California driver license

Federal Programs & Services

To read more about the federal government benefits you may be eligible for, you may want to visit the Veterans Affairs website.

  • VSO staff will talk with you about these and other benefits when you visit our office.

Get a County Veteran ID Card or California Driver License Label

As a U.S. veteran, you may wish to have an identity card that verifies your status and proudly recognizes your military service, though it is not required. If you visit our Santa Rosa office during drop-in hours, Monday - Thursday, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM or 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM, we can help you get two types of veteran ID. You can choose to get either type or both. 

Sonoma County-Generated  ID Card. 

  • Bring in your DD-214, which verifies your service, unless it's already on file. We'll take your picture and create your ID while you're in the office. In Sonoma County, use this ID for bus transportation (Santa Rosa City Bus and County bus) and for discounts at participating businesses.

Add a Veteran Label to Your California Driver License

  • Bring in your DD-214, which verifies your service, unless it's already on file. We'll create and stamp a verification form (VSD-001).

  • Take the VSD-001 to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) (you may schedule an appointment for faster service). Fill out an license renewal  application, and mark that you want the veteran designation on your license. The DMV charges a license renewal fee and a $5 service fee. In 2-3 weeks, you'll receive your new driver license stamped Veteran by mail at your home address.  

For Veteran driver license details, visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs website, or call CalVet: Toll-Free: 800-952-5626,Toll-Free: 800-324-5966 (TDD), or Toll-Free: 800-221-8998 (outside California).

How to Claim Benefits

The first step is to talk with us in-person to learn about all the benefits available to you and your family.

  • You can also visit the Santa Rosa office during drop-in hours, Monday - Thursday, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM.

Contact the VSO

  • Phone:(707) 565-5960, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
  • In-person: Monday-Thursday, 8am-12pm and 1pm-3pm. Visit us at 3725 Westwind Blvd. 1st Floor, Santa Rosa 95403.
  • Email: Please allow two business days for a response.