- Translation Disclaimer
- Privacy on the Web
- Suggested Tools
- Trademarks and Copyrighted Images
- Vendor Certification
- Consistent Content and Style
- Best Practices
- Making content accessible
- Back to Making content accessible
Document Properties and Metadata
Metadata is used by Search Engines to display information about the document to give the visitor enough information to determine if this is the document they are looking for.
Metadata is usually transferred automatically from the source document in most instances.
Edit, Review or update Properties
Menu: File > Properties > Description Tab
Enter a meaningful name for the document.
If the document is a recurring item like an Agenda, include the name of the hearing body and the hearing date in the Title field.
- Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda – April 12, 2016 (or 04/12/2016)
- Agricultural Commissioner Newsletter – April, 2016 (or 4/2016)
- Sonoma County Economic & Demographic Profile, 2015-2016
Enter “Sonoma County” or “County of Sonoma” (minus quotes), the authoring department, and phone number that someone who might need accessibility assistance with the document can call. Be sure that it is a general phone number that will be answered during business hours. Avoid using a specific person’s phone number as that person might be out of the office when someone calls for assistance. It is important to include the County name because there are over 3,000 counties in the US and they may all have similar department names. So it’s important to differentiate. Be sure to spell out department names. No abbreviations.
Examples of properly formed Author fields:
- County of Sonoma Board of Supervisors (707) 565-2241
- Sonoma County Human Resources Department (707) 565-2331
Enter a short description (160 characters or less) for the document.
To add language click on the Advanced Tab.
The following window will be displayed. Under Reading Options use the Language dropdown menu to select the appropriate language. The following window will be displayed. Under Reading Options use the Language dropdown menu to select the appropriate language.