On December 17, 2019, the Board of Supervisors received an update on the Cannabis Ad Hoc Committee and accepted recommendations for program improvements.
The Board of Supervisors approved recommendations for staff to explore changes in the following areas: penalty relief program, cultivation, and the timeline for these recommendations. These changes include an assessment of penalty relief applications, permitting process improvements, code enforcement, and updates to the ordinance toward ministerial permitting.
Staff will begin work on the following items:
- Complete an assessment of each penalty relief project application and establish a path to resolution
- Schedule projects identified for original jurisdiction for hearing at future Board of Supervisors meetings (30 day notification)
- Investigate amending the Cannabis Land Use Ordinance to that cannabis cultivation may be allowed with a ministerial permit issued by the Department of Agriculture / Weights & Measures (AWM), while associated building permits would continue to be issued by Permit Sonoma; and including amendments that would streamline the permitting process
- Transition code enforcement of regulated market from Permit Sonoma to AWM
- Shift priorities from a countywide environmental impact review toward changes that do not require that level of environmental review
- Develop a business plan and timeline for program improvements and transition of responsibilities
Please note: Amendments to the Cannabis Land Use Ordinance will proceed through a public hearing process, with opportunities for public input. The Board of Supervisors will also review the business plan and timeline.
Summary Report (PDF: 1.35 MB)
PowerPoint Presentation (PDF: 234 KB)