Santa Rosa, CA – September 10, 2019 – On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, the County of Sonoma and the City of Santa Rosa will join together for the 19th annual Day of Caring event. On this day of service, employees are given the opportunity to volunteer and work on a variety of projects to benefit the community.
“The Day of Caring spotlights the incredible spirit of our employees who go above and beyond to serve,” said Board of Supervisors Chair David Rabbitt. “We are honored to extend our normal job duties for the day and give back to neighbors throughout Sonoma County. Employees will pitch in for the day to support recovery and resiliency projects, affordable housing initiatives, elderly and disabled clients, and local nonprofits.”
Participating employees will begin the day with a kick-off rally at 7:00 a.m., including a presentation for the day at 8:00 a.m. that will announce the annual United Way of the Wine Country Combined Fund Drive in partnership with the County of Sonoma. Town of Windsor employees will also participate to pilot the project in anticipation of fully joining Day of Caring next year.
Several of the 34 volunteer work projects identified for this year include:
- Yard work at local disabled and elderly client homes
- Organizing donations at local thrift shops and food banks
- Gardening at the Valley of the Moon Children’s Home, LandPaths’ Bayer Farm, Community Soil Foundation, and the Sonoma Ecology Center
- Trail restoration at local parks and preserves including Pepperwood Preserve and LandPaths’ Riddell Preserve
- Supporting animal sanctuaries, including Forget-Me-Not Farms and Goatlandia