Weekly Roundup for September 1, 2023
Published: September 01, 2023
Today’s digest provides helpful and important updates on the following:
- Heat and fire safety tips for Labor Day Weekend
- Latest County of Sonoma career opportunities
- Household Hazardous Waste collection September 5
- Other Sonoma County news of note
Heat and fire safety tips for Labor Day celebrations
As the Labor Day weekend approaches, here are some essential tips to ensure you and your loved ones have a fantastic and safe holiday.
As you wind down your campfire activities, keep in mind the drown, stir and feel rules to properly extinguish the flames. Plus, when towing, it's crucial to ensure that your chains are not in contact with the ground, as this can create sparks that pose a wildfire risk.
For additional emergency preparedness tips, visit: https://socoemergency.org/get-ready/
When temperatures are high, make sure to:
- Stay cool, stay hydrated and know the signs of heat exhaustion.
- Apply sunscreen and wear sun protective clothing.
- Never leave a person or pet in a vehicle – look before you lock.
Heat-related injuries are preventable. Know the symptoms, check on family and neighbors, and take precautions.
For more information on extreme heat, visit https://socoemergency.org/get-ready/local-hazards/heat/
Latest County of Sonoma career opportunities
Did you know that Forbes magazine named the County of Sonoma one of America’s 500 best mid-sized employers for the second consecutive year?
It was the only government agency in California to make the magazine’s list. Overall, Forbes ranked the county No. 307 among the nation’s 500 best mid-sized employers, which it defined as having 1,000 to 5,000 workers.
Here are several of the listings this week:
- Child Protective Services Social Work Supervisor, Human Services – https://bit.ly/3R4hhcu
- Elections Specialist I – Regular and Bilingual (English/Spanish), Registrar of Voters – https://bit.ly/3YVvN8e
- Facilities Design and Management Project Specialist, General Services – https://bit.ly/3qM9Pbt
- Legal Assistant, District Attorney’s Office – https://bit.ly/44wbmQK
- Nutritionist, Health Services – https://bit.ly/45UKNpv
Learn about the County of Sonoma application process at the next Start Here Workshop on Wednesday, September 13 from 10 a.m. to noon.
Sign up at https://bit.ly/45tVpvG.
Household Hazardous Waste collection event September 5
On Tuesday, September 5 from 4-8 p.m., Zero Waste Sonoma will host a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection event in Santa Rosa, East.
Bring unused and unwanted HHW items such as paint, fertilizers, batteries, fluorescent lamps, sharps, or antifreeze, to name a few. The address will be provided when you make the appointment.
This event is FREE for residents; qualifying small businesses may also participate for a fee.
For examples of common types of HHW or for information about other disposal opportunities, visit: https://zerowastesonoma.gov/recycle-dispose/residents/common-household-hazardous-waste-hhw
For additional information for residents, visit:
For additional information for businesses, visit:
Other Sonoma County news of note
Board of Supervisors approves Municipal Greenhouse Gas Inventory as baseline for climate resilience, adaptation
Sonoma County Housing Authority opens new Housing Choice Voucher waitlist lottery
Sonoma County issues health advisory due to poor air quality