- Climate Action and Resiliency
- Legislative Program
- Sonoma County Annual Reports
- Accessibility Assistance
- Back to County Of Sonoma
Weekly Roundup for November 10, 2022
Published: November 10, 2022
Today’s digest provides helpful and important updates on the following:
- Sonoma County recognizes National Veterans Awareness Week
- WATCH: Drought webinar available for viewing
- Preparing for this year’s flu & cold season
- Latest news from County of Sonoma
Sonoma County Recognizes National Veterans Awareness Week
To honor veterans across the nation, the Sonoma County Administration Center and several other government buildings are illuminated with green lights from Nov. 7 to Nov. 13 as part of Operation Green Light, a public awareness campaign in observation of National Veterans Awareness Week. The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors officially recognized the initiative in marking Nov. 11 as Veterans Day in Sonoma County, a federal holiday to honor military veterans of the United States Armed Forces.
As part of Operation Green Light, the Sonoma County Department of Public Infrastructure, in coordination with the Sonoma County Veterans Service Office, illuminated multiple county buildings including the Administration Building in Santa Rosa, Veterans Memorial Buildings in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Sonoma and Cotati, as well as the Guerneville Plaza.
For more information about Sonoma County’s Operation Green Light for Veterans, or for information about services for Sonoma County veterans and loved ones, please call (707) 565-5960, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit:
Veterans and family members may also visit the Sonoma County Veterans Service office in person, located at 3725 Westwind Blvd, Santa Rosa 95402. Hours of operation are Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Watch: Latest Drought Webinar Available for Viewing
Sonoma Water and the County of Sonoma hosted a virtual town hall on Thursday this week to update the public on the drought emergency.
The town hall featured updated presentations on the impact of the drought on California and the state’s response; the ramifications of our ongoing transition to a warmer and drier climate; and the outlook for atmospheric rivers, along with the role they play in flooding, drought, and our water supply.
The briefing was streamed live and is available for viewing on the County of Sonoma Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CountyofSonoma
A Spanish language version can be viewed on the County of Sonoma YouTube channel:
Learn more at: https://socoemergency.org/emergency/drought/
Drought TIP: To save water right now, the best thing we can all do is to take a break from outdoor irrigation. Approximately 50 percent of average summertime water usage is irrigation, so by turning off your irrigation now, we can preserve critical water supply.
Drought is Here. Save Water. To learn more, visit: https://www.sonomawater.org/drought
Preparing for Flu & Cold Season
The best way to prepare for this year’s flu and cold season is to make sure you and your family are up to date on all vaccinations, including the COVID-19 booster and annual flu shot.
- Get your flu shot. The best way to prevent flu is by getting a flu vaccine each year. Everyone ages 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine.
- There are early signs that this flu season could be severe. Data show that the flu season is ramping up early. Flu hospitalizations are higher at this point in the season than they have been in a decade. Flu is also spreading at the same time as other respiratory illnesses, including RSV and COVID-19.
- The best time to get vaccinated against flu is now. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot yet, there’s still time to protect yourself from this year’s flu season.
- Get your COVID-19 booster the same day. It’s safe and convenient to get your flu shot and your COVID-19 vaccine or booster the same day, if you’re eligible for both.
For more information, please visit:
Latest News from County of Sonoma
Free holiday parking at Regional Parks for veterans and active-duty military
Sonoma County Board of Supervisors receives five-year fiscal forecast
Probation staff participated in the Trunk-or-Treat Event, October 26, 2022
25th Annual UCCE North Coast IPM Seminar
Prescribed pile-burning operations planned at Cloverdale River Park
Zero Waste Sonoma and Conservation Corps North Bay to host free e-waste events
Want to read more about what we're up to at the County of Sonoma?
Read the latest issue sign up to receive the SoCo Correspondent monthly newsletter here: