Family, Youth and Children's Division
All children and teens deserve to be safe, healthy and cared for.
To ensure the safety and well-being of all Sonoma County children and teens, the Family, Youth and Children's Division (FYC) partners with local families, community members and professionals who work with youth.
Programs and Services
- Our Child Protection Services staff investigate reports from the community of child abuse, neglect or abandonment.
- Day or night, through the 24-hour Child Protection hotline, staff respond to emergency reports and community concerns about a child's well-being at home.
- When needed to keep a child safe, we move the child into emergency foster care with trained and licensed foster parents, the emergency shelter at Valley of the Moon Children's Home or a group home.
- To provide a safe haven for children, FYC staff recruit, train and support local adults and families who open their hearts and homes to become foster parents.
- We also work with other local foster care agencies who recruit, train and support foster parents.
- A child or teen who cannot be returned home safely may be placed with foster parents for guardianship or adoption.
- Trainers teach community members and mandated reporters inhow to prevent and report concerns about a child or youth.
URGENT NEED for More Caring Foster Parents
Each day in Sonoma County, more than 500 foster infants, children and teens are in foster care. Relatives, family friends, teachers and coaches, single adults, couples and families of all types are needed to become foster parents for local children.
Foster families help protect abused and neglected children and teens who cannot safely remain in their parent's care. There is a special need for foster parents to care for sibling groups, toddlers and teenagers. Becoming a foster parent is also the first step toward adopting a child or teen.
If you want to offer a safe and loving home to a local child,
Valley of the Moon Children's Home
P.O. Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402-1539
(707) 565-6350 • FAX (707) 565-6352
Children who are no longer safe with their parents or guardians and need immediate, temporary shelter may stay at the Valley of the Moon Children's Home until a community foster home is arranged. Staffed by caring child welfare professionals, the shelter is a peaceful, stable, supportive and nurturing group environment where children receive medical, dental and mental health care and other healing services.
Help children and youth with homework, lead art, exercise, garden or music programs, sort donated clothes, toys and other items for foster children and youth, or plan and organize special events. Contact the non-profit Valley of the Moon Children's Foundation or email Valley of the Moon Children's Home staff.
Redwood Children's Center
2755 Mendocino Avenue, Suite 204, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
(707) 565-6360 • FAX (707) 565-8621
In a comfortable environment at the Family Justice Center
, children, teens and developmentally disabled adults can be interviewed regarding allegations of sexual abuse by trained forensic professional. To reduce the number of interviews with professionals involved in the investigation, sessions are recorded for law enforcement, legal and social service professionals to review.
Valley of the Moon Children's Foundation
PO Box 11671, Santa Rosa, CA 95406
This private, nonprofit, community foundation generously raises funds to support foster children and foster families in Sonoma County. In partnership with the Board of Supervisors and the community, the Foundation led the capital campaign to build the emergency shelter, the Valley of the Moon Children's Home.
Charitable donations and volunteers support:
- the needs of children and teens at Valley of the Moon Children's Home,
- children and teens in community foster care homes and their foster parents,
- emancipated foster children, including help with education, housing and employment guidance,
- and community efforts to prevent child abuse,