- Health Care Benefits
- Food and Nutrition Benefits
- Options for Economic Assistance Services
- Back to Economic Assistance
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
CAPI provides benefits for legal non-citizens in financial need who are ineligible for federal Supplement Income (SSI) due to their immigrant status. Blind or disabled non-citizens of any age, or seniors aged 65 and older may be eligible to receive CAPI.
Sonoma County's Economic Assistance Division is responsible for providing potentially eligible individuals with CAPI applications, assisting applicants with completing the application, conducting the required face-to-face interview, processing other public benefit program applications (General Assistance, Medi-Cal, CalFresh) and forwarding CAPI applications received to San Mateo County. Sonoma County's CAPI program is administered by San Mateo County who processes the CAPI applications and sends assistance payments directly to Sonoma County residents.
Eligibility for CAPI
You may be eligible for CAPI payments if you:
- Are age 65 or older, blind, or disabled
- Are ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to immigration status. This means a CAPI applicant must apply for SSI/SSP, or submit other proof of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration
- Live in California
- Have little or no income, and
- Have resources that are valued at less than $2,000 if you are single, or $3,000 if you are married
We do not count the value of the home you live in or your car (if it does not have a market value greater than $4,500). We count all other property and income you have, both in the United States and in other countries.
CAPI recipients may also be eligible for CalFresh, Medi-Cal, and/or In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS).
How to Submit an Application for CAPI
You can submit an Application using any of the following methods:
- In-Person at 2550 Paulin Dr, Santa Rosa or 5350 Old Redwood Hwy N, Suite 100, Petaluma
- Over the phone with the Economic Assistance Center at (877) 699-6868. Phone hours are Monday-Friday between 9am – 3:30pm
- By Mail: P.O. Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402
- By Fax: (707) 565-2929
- For more information visit: https://www.cdss.ca.gov/capi
- Download the application here