Monument Fee Collection
Effective January 1, 2011
The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
Government Code section 27585 authorizes the Survey Monument Fee, in order to finance the Survey Monument Preservation Fund to pay the necessary expenses incurred or authorized by the county surveyor in any retracement or remonument survey of major historical land division lines upon which later surveys are based (Government Code section 27584). The County Surveyor administers the fund.
Monument Fee Collection Procedures
- The fee is $10.00 and will apply to Grant Deeds. It does not include:
- Quit Claim Deed
- Tax Deed Reconveyance
- Deed Decree of Distribution
- Judgment of Partition
- Deed of Trust Easement Deed
- Deed changing vesting (ie: community property to joint tenancy, or to your own trust)
- Correction Deed Re-Recorded Deed
- Exceptions to the Fee Include:
- Grant Deeds conveying lots created by recorded tract (subdivision) map
- Grant Deed conveying real property from any public agency
- Grant Deed conveying real property to any public agency
- The only exempt legal descriptions are a reference to a full parcel created by a recorded Subdivision/Tract map or reference to a condominium unit
- Examples of legal description that are NOT exempt:
- Parcel created by a recorded Record of Survey Map
- Parcel created by a recorded Parcel Map
- Portion of a parcel created by a recorded Subdivision Map (including exceptions from described parcels)
- U. S. Government Survey (Township & Range)
- Metes and Bounds
- Street address
- Omnibus description (ie: all property located in Sonoma County)
- Generic description (ie: the Norton Ranch)NOTE: In the absence of a clear description the Recorder's Office will assume that a fee is due.
- Example: "Lot 4 on Recorded Map 143 at Page 37, Sonoma County Records"
County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
Contact us by Phone
- Monday – Friday
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
County Clerk-Recorder Office
Clerk-Recorder accepts payments by cash, checks, credit or debit cards.
Public Records Search
Search Records Now
Search Online Index of Sonoma County Public Records
Search Our Online Index of Public Records: Official Public Records, Fictitious Business Names, Professional Registrations, CEQA Filings
Before Searching Older Records
When searching for a record prior to 2010, remember to use abbreviations; after January 1, 2010, search under the exact name of the person or company.
1964-1989 Records Cross-Reference
1990-2010 Record Cross-Reference