- Search Our Records
- Clerk Services
- Vital Records
- Recorder Services
- Notarizations and Certifications
- Clerk-Recorder Forms
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Legislative Updates
- Boards & Commissions
- Back to Clerk Services
Deputy Marriage Commissioner
This service is not currently being provided. While we work on re-imagining our regular in-person training, please become ordained online to perform a ceremony using a Sonoma County marriage license.
The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
Applications and Forms
The Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a Day Program
Do you have a friend or family member whom you would like to have perform your marriage ceremony? If so, we may be able to assist you.
Pursuant to section 401(a) and (b) of the California Family Code, the County Clerk, who is designated as the Commissioner of Civil Marriages for Sonoma County, may at his or her discretion appoint Deputy Marriage Commissioners to perform civil marriage ceremonies.
Prior to the marriage ceremony, the parties to the marriage must purchase a marriage license, and the following conditions must be met by the person requesting appointment as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for an Occasion:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must mail or FAX a completed application to attend a training class and be appointed Deputy Marriage Commissioner for an Occasion to:
Sonoma County Clerk-Recorder
585 Fiscal Dr., Room 103
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
FAX: (707) 565-3957
- Classes are offered Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings
Applications must be submitted at least two days prior to the date of the training class/appointment requested.
Applications are available on our website and at the Clerk-Recorder Office.
The Person Requesting Appointment Must
- Appear in person on the appointment date and time
- Provide valid photo identification
- Pay the $133.00 fee
- Attend a training class (approximately 45 minutes in length) during which he/she will receive instructions on California's requirements for performing a marriage ceremony.
- The applicant will be sworn in as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for the upcoming marriage.