Keeping Kids In School (KKIS)
The Probation Department leads the Keeping Kids in School Initiative (KKIS), a multi-agency partnership that supports youth who are disconnected from their education and their families. Serving select students and schools across Sonoma County, KKIS provides individualized case management and schoolwide technical assistance services to increase student attendance and prevent future entry into the juvenile justice system.
The student-level goals of KKIS are to:
- Reduce the incidence of school absence and truancy for students who are chronically absent in Sonoma County;
- Increase student and parent engagement with school;
- Improve student educational outcomes;
- Improve functioning of participant families; and
- Reduce student involvement in criminal activity.
The community-level goals of KKIS are to:
- Reduce negative impacts upon community that result from chronic absence and truancy;
- Reduce revenue loss for school districts as a result of the student absence; and
- Sustain improved chronic absence/truancy prevention efforts.
- Juvenile Services, (707) 565-6229