The Probation Department's Intake unit reviews and evaluates reports referred to them by law enforcement agencies. The Intake Officer may choose from several options including:
- Dismiss the matter at intake
- Admonish the youth and then dismiss the charges
- Hold the matter in abeyance for a period of time
- Refer the youth to a diversion program
- Refer the matter to the District Attorney's office for filing of charges
If the youth is referred for diversion, a number of options and community based programs are available to assist in ensuring that the youth complies with the specific case requirements, including mental health or substance abuse counseling, payment of restitution, and completion of community service hours.