The Department of Emergency Management is the lead agency for the Sonoma County Operational Area. The Sonoma County Operational Area consists of nine incorporated cities (Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, Sonoma, and the Town of Windsor), Sonoma State University, the Sonoma County Junior College District, and other special districts within the county's geographical boundary.
Under the State of California's Standardized Emergency Management System (SEMS), the Operational Area is the primary level of coordination for response and recovery activities following an emergency or disaster. The Department of Emergency Management provides the umbrella under which all response agencies may function in an integrated fashion.
The Department's Staff Includes
- Director of Emergency Management
- Deputy Director of Emergency Management
- Emergency Management Coordinators (Deputy ESC) - 3.5 positions
- Auxiliary Communications Service
- Administrative Services Officer I
- Grants Coordinators (Administrative Aide) - 1.5 positions
- Department Secretary
- Community Warning Program Manager
- Community Warning Program Coordinator (Deputy ESC)
- Communications Manager (Program Analyst)
- Community Preparedness Program Manager
- Volunteer Preparedness Trainers
This staff is responsible for all emergency management services in the Sonoma County Operational Area.
There is strong political support from the County Board of Supervisors, the County Administrative Officer, the various city councils and city managers, school and fire boards, and special district associations.