Life Insurance for Employees
Basic Life Insurance, basic Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D), Supplemental Life Insurance, and Dependent Life Insurance are insured by UnitedHealthcare®.
The maximum amount of Life Insurance with Basic Life and Supplemental Life combined cannot exceed $500,000.
WHAT IS IT?
If you die, life benefits are disbursed to your beneficiaries in a lump sum to help them pay for things like:
- Burial and final expenses.
- Debts such as student and car loans and the mortgage.
- Future expenses, including college tuition, the rent, childcare, retirement savings or even elderly parent care.
There are also additional benefits available when you enroll that may help you plan better today and face life’s turning points with professional assistance, including:
- An online tool for drafting your will.
- Emergency travel assistance in case an accident or illness occurs while you are away.
- An “Express Pay” service where, under certain conditions, death claim proceeds can be received in as little as 48 hours.
- Funeral planning and cost comparison services.
- Face-to-face access to an attorney or counselor to assist beneficiaries after a death.
WHY DO I NEED IT?
You never know what the future may hold. That’s the whole reason behind life insurance. It can’t fill your shoes, but it can be a comforting source of income and support for your loved ones if you can’t be there. Your needs may change over time, but the need to protect the important things in life won’t. Take the time to help protect what’s taken a lifetime to build.
Policy Number and Customer Service
UnitedHealthcare's Group Policy #: 306849
Customer Service Representatives are available to answer your questions regarding the status of a claim or Evidence of Insurability application at (888) 299-2070.
Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
Enrollment in Basic Life Insurance and AD&D is automatic for all regular full-time employees and regular part-time employees, regardless of bargaining unit, in an allocated position of 60 hours or more per pay period. Basic Life Insurance and AD&D premiums are paid by the County.
Part-Time DSA, SCLEA, and ESC Employees
Part-time DSA, SCLEA, and ESC employees working less than 60 hours per pay period can purchase Basic Life Insurance and AD&D at their own expense.
The rate for DSA and ESC - $25,000 of Basic Life Insurance and AD&D is $0.70 bi-weekly
The rate for SCLEA for 1 time Base Annual Salary equals $0.000730 x base salary
Basic Life and Supplemental Insurance Coverage Amounts
|Bargaining Unit||Basic Life and AD&D Insurance||Supplemental Life Insurance|
|Class 4 -
|1.5 times Base Annual Salary||Increments of $10,000 (up to a combined total of $500,000)|
|Class 3 -
|$25,000||1, 2, 3 or 4 times your Basic Life Amount|
|Class 4 -
|1.5 times Base Annual Salary||1, 2, 3 or 4 times your Basic Life Amount|
|Class 5 -
Board of Supervisors (49)
Administrative Management (50)
Department/Agency Heads (52)
|2 times Base Annual Salary||1, 2, 3 or 4 times your Basic Life Amount|
|Class 6 -
Local 39 (85)
SCLEA (30, 40, 41, 70)
SEIU (01, 05, 10, 25, 80, 95)
|1 time Base Annual Salary||Increments of $10,000 (up to a combined total of $500,000)|
|Class 7 -
|1 time Base Annual Salary||1, 2, 3 or 4 times your Base Annual Salary|
|Class 8 -
|$25,000||1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 times your Base Annual Salary|
Guarantee Issue is the amount of Supplemental Life Insurance that you are automatically approved for without providing evidence of good health.
- New hire or newly eligible employees may elect up to 3 times your Basic Life Insurance not to exceed a combined Basic and Supplemental Life total of $500,000
- Employees with existing Supplemental Life Insurance, who haven’t yet reached their maximum guaranteed issue, may increase coverage by 1 increment level, up to 3x Basic Life Insurance.
- Employees electing Supplemental Life Insurance for the first time have no guarantee issue; coverage is subject to approval by UnitedHealthcare and evidence of good health is required.
The coverage level you elect for Supplemental Life Insurance above the guarantee issue amount is subject to approval by UnitedHealthcare and will require evidence of good health. No payroll deductions will be taken until your application is approved by UnitedHealthcare.
2022 - 2023 Employee Supplemental Life Insurance Premiums per $10,000 of Coverage
|Age||Bi-Weekly Rate||Annual Rate|
|29 and under||$0.28||$7.20|
|30 - 34||$0.31||$8.17|
|35 - 39||$0.39||$10.20|
|40 - 44||$0.59||$15.37|
|45 - 49||$0.86||$22.44|
|50 - 54||$1.37||$35.77|
|55 - 59||$2.28||$59.40|
|60 - 64||$3.38||$88.08|
|65 - 69||$5.53||$144.35|
|70 - 74||$10.12||$264.13|
Dependent Life Insurance
Dependent Life Insurance coverage may be purchased for your spouse/domestic partner and any dependent child through the end of the month they turn age 26. Dependents employed through the County are not considered eligible dependents for dependent life.
The amount of coverage is $5,000 for each eligible dependent
- The employee is the beneficiary
- The premium rate is $0.223 bi-weekly, which covers all eligible dependents
- You will be required to show proof of dependent eligibility at the time a claim is made
Key Points to Consider
- You pay the full cost of Supplemental and Dependent coverage on a post-tax basis.
- Especially if you are the sole wage-earner in your family, think about whether or not you need more protection than the County-paid Basic coverage provides.
- Consider whether you have enough money to cover funeral and/or legal expenses in the event of a death of a spouse, domestic partner, or children. Dependent life insurance may help with these expenses.
- Be sure to designate a beneficiary (or beneficiaries) for your employee life insurance and keep them up-to-date (basic and supplemental). TheUnitedHealthcare Beneficiary Form is located in the main menu of Employee Self-Service.
- Help is available for funeral planning and coping with a loss of your loved one, as well as other valuable services at www.liveandworkwell.com, using access code LIFEBENSVS.