Notary Registration and Bonds
The staff of the Clerk-Recorder-Assessor's Office are forbidden by California legal codes to practice law or provide legal advice; this prohibition includes giving advice about what forms you might need or how you should fill them out.
What is a Notary Public?
A notary public is a public official who performs valuable services to the legal, business, financial and real estate communities by certifying or witnessing signatures on official documents.
Becoming a Notary Public
To become a California Notary Public, go to the Secretary of State Notary Public Division’s website at http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary
Notary Oath Filing Requirements
- Must be completed within 30 days of commission issuance date
- Notary bond with signature for $15,000 must be provided
- Bring Commission and 2 copies of Oath issued by Secretary of State
- Names on commission, bond, and oath must be exactly the same
- A notary can also take his/her oath before another notary in the county.
- Call (707) 565-3800 for information about that process.
- $50.00 for filing of the oath
- $14.00 for first page of bond, and $3.00 each additional page, to record the bond