Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Lower Russian River Municipal Advisory Council?
The Lower Russian River Municipal Advisory Council is a board of citizens, appointed by the Board of Supervisors, who volunteer their time to review proposed projects located within the county and related topics of interest in their community and may provide written recommendations that offer suggested change or support.
- The MAC is not a decision-making body.
- The MAC does not have the authority to make, set, provide interpretation or enforce county ordinances, policies or laws.
- The MAC is tasked with gathering input from the community on matters of concern that relate to the area served by the MAC, such as land use, roads, public health and safety concerns, fire protection, law enforcement and regional parks.
What neighborhoods are within the Lower Russian River MAC boundaries?
Forestville, Hacienda, Summerhome Park, Rio Nido, Guerneville, Vacation Beach, Monte Rio, Duncans Mills and Cazadero proper.
Who sits on the Lower Russian River Municipal Advisory Council?
Representatives who sit on the Lower Russian River MAC are selected by the districts in which they reside. The selected individuals are confirmed by the District Supervisor and formally approved by the Board of Supervisors.
What are the duties of the MAC?
Duties of the MAC include:
- Holding monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly meetings. MAC meetings are a recurrent and convenient venue for residents to hear about and provide comments on a number of district and countywide topics.
- Promote and encourage public comment. The MAC should encourage public comment and maintain an impartial viewpoint regarding any topic until all information or comment has been presented.
- Provide written advisory recommendations. Advisory recommendations from the MAC are an important element in the deliberative process of the Board of Supervisors. After the MAC has reviewed a topic, listened to presenters and gathered community input, a written advisory recommendation that provides suggested changes or support may be submitted to the Board of Supervisors for consideration.
What issues does the Lower Russian River Municipal Advisory Council focus on?
The Lower Russian River Municipal Advisory Council may make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on the following advisory topics:
- Use permit applications
- Rezoning applications
- General Plan amendment applications
- Prioritization of transportation and transit improvements
- Health and human safety-net services
- Additional topics suggested by the District Supervisor