Skip to Content

Department of Health Services

Office of Vital Statistics

Medical Marijuana ID Program


The Sonoma County Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) program provides patients with an ID card to show they have a recommendation from their physician to use marijuana for medicinal purposes.

The card can assist law enforcement officials in determining whether an individual using marijuana meets the requirements of the Compassionate Use Act, which states that, with the recommendation of a physician, a patient may obtain and use marijuana for personal medical purposes.

You must make an appointment with the Sonoma County Office of Vital Statistics to apply for a card.

Completed applications are accepted by appointment only on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM.


Proposition 64 in Full Effect as of January 1, 2018

Although Proposition 64 amends some statutory provisions governing the Medical Marijuana ID Card program, it does not abolish it. The California Department of Public Health will continue to print identification cards and maintain a registry database for verification of qualified patients and their primary caregivers.

Frequently Asked Questions
Source: California Department of Public Health.

Apply for a Medical Marijuana ID Card

Please bring to your appointment:
  • A completed  application.
  • Proof of Sonoma County residency.
  • Government-issued Photo ID.
  • A piece of your medical record that documents that your attending physician has discussed or recommended the use of medical marijuana as part of the patient treatment plan.
  • Your physician's name, address, telephone number and fax number.
  • Your current Medi-Cal card if you are a Medi-Cal beneficiary.
  • Payment by cash,  money order, Visa or MasterCard credit card, or debit card (personal checks not accepted for Medical Marijuana ID card). 
    • Nonrefundable fee: $94 ($47 with Medi-Cal coverage)

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be a Sonoma County resident in order to receive a MMIC?

What can I submit as proof of residency?

Can I obtain my recommendation for medical marijuana from an out-of-county physician?

Is a medical marijuana recommendation considered a prescription?

Can my caregiver also obtain a MMIC?

Can I have more than one primary caregiver?

Can a primary caregiver care for more than one patient at a time?

Can I have a caregiver who lives out of the county?

Can I be a primary caregiver for a resident of another county?

Is my MMIC recognized in other California counties?

Does a MMIC protect me from all law enforcement?

What information will appear on the MMIC?

What MMIC cardholder personal information is available to anyone (including law enforcement) accessing the MMIC website?

How long will a MMIC be valid?

How do I renew my MMIC?

How do I replace my MMIC if it is lost, stolen or damaged?

What medical documentation is needed to apply for a MMIC?

Can a minor apply for a card?

No, any California resident that is a qualified patient can apply for a MMIC; however, you must apply for your MMIC in the county where you reside. Proof of residency is required.

Yes. The attending physician must have a license in good standing issued by the Medical Board of California or the Osteopathic Medical Board of California, but there are no residency requirements for the physician.

No. Federal law prohibits doctors from writing prescriptions for illegal drugs. Marijuana is not considered legal by the federal government, and federal law still provides that use or possession of marijuana is a crime.

Yes. If you designate a primary caregiver on your application form, your primary caregiver must present photographic identification, and complete Section 4 on the form at the same time you submit your application. The application fee for the caregiver card will be based on the application fee of the patient/applicant.

Yes, if your primary caregiver is the owner or operator of a facility providing medical care and/or supportive services to a qualified patient. No more than three employees can be designated as "primary caregiver" by the owner or operator.

Yes. However, if an individual has been designated as the primary caregiver by two or more qualified patients, the primary caregiver and all the qualified patients must reside in the same city or county.

Yes. The primary caregiver must prove California residency and is further restricted to being the primary caregiver for only that patient.

Yes, but that will restrict you to being the primary caregiver for only that patient.

Yes. This is a statewide identification card program.

No. In particular, it does not protect you from federal law enforcement agencies.

When the MMIC unique identification number is entered through the MMIC website, a "valid card" or "invalid card" response is generated. No other information is accessible.

Qualified patient and primary caregiver cards are valid for one year. If the primary caregiver applies for a card at a later date than the patient's MMIC, the primary caregiver MMIC will have the same expiration date as the patient's MMIC.

Renewing a MMIC requires the same process as applying for a new MMIC. This includes submitting the application form with supporting documentation and paying the appropriate application fee.

To replace a lost, stolen or damaged card, the applicant must reapply for a new MMIC and repay the current application fee. The Office of Vital Statistics will notify the California Office of County Health Services Medical Marijuana Program to invalidate the Unique User Identification Number (UUID) on the missing card. Vital Statistics has the option of referring to applications and supporting documentation on file or to require the applicant to submit a new application with supporting documentation. In either case, the application information and supporting documents must be verified.

You must provide written documentation completed by your physician that states that you have been diagnosed with a serious medical condition and that the medical use of marijuana is appropriate. Your doctor must maintain a copy of the statement in your medical file. The California Department of Health Services offers the use of the Written Documentation of Patient's Medical Records Form (MMP Form No. 9044) as a convenience.

Yes, a minor can apply as a qualified patient or caregiver. If a minor is applying as a qualified patient, they must be lawfully emancipated or have declared self-sufficiency status. If the minor applicant is neither of these, the minor's parent, legal guardian, or person with legal authority to make medical decisions for the minor applicant must complete Section 2 of the medical marijuana ID card program application.

If a minor is applying as a primary caregiver, they must meet additional requirements including:

  • A current and valid motor vehicle driver's license or identification card issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This includes the DMV DL43 "Change of Address Certification Card;" or
  • A current and valid California motor vehicle registration bearing your name and your current residence within the county; or
  • A current rent or mortgage receipt or utility bill in your name bearing your current address within the county.
  • A photo of the cardholder.
  • A unique user identification number issued by The California Office of County Health Services Medical Marijuana Program.
  • The expiration date.
  • The name and telephone number of the county agency that approved the application.
  • A web-based Internet URL that will enable state and local law enforcement officers, the public and others to have immediate access to verify the validity of the card.
  • Being consistently responsible for the housing, health or safety of a qualified patient; or
  • Being the parent of a minor child who is a qualified patient.