Skip to Content

Department of Health Services

Environmental Health

Health Permit for Edible Cannabis Product Manufacturing Site

Sonoma County Cannabis Program 750

Return to Cannabis Permits

Environmental Health issues health permits, provides inspection services, and conducts other educational and enforcement activities for edible product manufacturing sites.

A person or business wanting to open and operate an edible product manufacturing site in the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County must submit an application for a health permit to Environmental Health.


Applicants should contact the Permit Sonoma (formerly PRMD) for land use and zoning requirements for locating an edible cannabis product manufacturing site in the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County.

If a proposed site is located within city limits, an applicant should contact the appropriate city planning department for applicable laws and requirements pertaining to cannabis.

Applicants should also contact other county and city agencies regarding requirements for a business license, fire prevention, and building permits.

The Permit Process

Although edible cannabis products are not defined as a food in the California Health and Safety Code, Environmental Health will be applying statewide food safety standards in the California Retail Food Code to ensure product safety.

Step 1: Submit a plan review application.

Download the Cannabis Manufacturing Site Plan Review Packet (PDF: 2.36 MB)

Current Fee Schedule

Edible product manufacturers may begin the plan review process concurrent with the land use permit process at Permit Sonoma (PRMD).

By phone: (707) 565-6565

An on-site review will be required to verify the current site meets requirements.

Timelines will be established for compliance based on the health and safety risks associated with the site requirements. 

Step 2: Complete a construction inspection.

Once a plan review application is approved and an applicant has finished any necessary improvements to the property, Environmental Health will conduct an on-site construction inspection. 

Step 3: Apply for a health permit.

When step 1 and step 2 are completed, you may submit an application for a health permit. Please note that a site cannot operate without an approved health permit.

Download the Cannabis Health Permit Application(PDF: 63.5 kB)

Current Fee Schedule

Step 4: Receive an opening inspection.

An opening inspection will be conducted by Environmental Health within 30 days of the permit being issued. Routine inspections will be conducted twice per year utilizing the California Retail Food Code. Inspections will cover proper edible cannabis product handling and storage, general cleanliness, employee health and hand washing, facility maintenance, and other safety issues. 

You may also sign up for Sonoma County Cannabis updates:

Sign Up for Sonoma County Cannabis Updates

Food Handler Card Requirement

Employees who are involved in the preparation, storage, or service of edible cannabis products will be required to obtain a food handler card after successful completion of an approved training course and examination from an approved food handler course provider:

Food Handler Card