Environmental Health and Safety permits and inspects landfills, transfer stations and other facilities which handle solid waste which require permits to operate under authority of CalRecycle. The program includes response to solid waste illegal accumulation or storage complaints and monitoring waste tire sites and haulers.
Local Enforcement Agency Overview
CalRecycle is the State department responsible for ensuring that State waste management programs are carried out in compliance with State and federal regulations and statutes. Local Enforcement Agencies (LEAs) are designated by the governing body of a county or city and, upon certification by CalRecycle, are empowered to implement delegated non-hazardous waste management programs, to ensure compliance with applicable State solid waste laws, to permit and enforce conditions at solid waste facilities.
LEAs have the primary responsibility for ensuring the correct operation and closure of solid waste facilities in the state. They also have responsibilities for guaranteeing the proper storage and transportation of solid wastes. For those facilities or operations not in compliance, the LEA has the authority to issue and enforce Compliance Orders, Corrective Action Orders, Cease and Desist Orders, and civil penalties. The Department of Health Services is the LEA for the County and the incorporated cities within the County. The Environmental Health Director is the State designated LEA and is responsible for direction and management of the LEA.
Permitted Solid Waste Facilities
- To find a listing of all solid waste facilities permitted in Sonoma County and facility detail, please visit the CalRecycle Solid Waste Information System search page.
Enforcement Actions Taken by LEA
- To find a listing of solid waste facilities and disposal sites that have active enforcement actions, please visit the CalRecycle Solid Waste Information System Listing of Solid Waste Facilities and Disposal Sites under Enforcement Orders.
CalRecycle Resources and Forms
- LEA Homepage
- Solid Waste Facility Information System Search Page
- Enforcement Information on Facilities
- Enforcement Orders
- Solid Waste Review Form (PDF: 93.5 Kb)
- Refuse Vehicle Permit Application (PDF: 55 Kb)
- Current Fee Schedule