Body art facilities must obtain a health permit and practitioners must register to provide body art services in Sonoma County.
Facility and Practitioner Requirements
All business owners/operators of fixed facilities, mobile units, and temporary events must obtain a health permit annually. All body artists must be registered annually. All facilities and practitioners must operate in accordance with the California Health and Safety Code, Sections 119300-119327.
All permitted facilities will receive annual inspections.
Apply for a Facility Permit
- Submit a completed Body Art Facility Plan Review Application
- Submit the appropriate fee payable to Sonoma County Environmental Health and Safety. See fee schedule for current fees.
- Submit a copy of the facility Infection Prevention Control Plan as required by the California Health and Safety Code, Section 119313.
- Facility Plans must be submitted and approved for new construction or remodel of a facility.
When all of these requirements are approved, the owner/operator will receive a health permit for the facility. The health permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The health permit shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the facility. Body Art Facility Requirements.
Apply for a Practitioner Permit
- Submit a completed Body Art Practitioner Permit Application
- Submit the appropriate fee payable to the Sonoma County Environmental Health and Safety. See fee schedule for current fees.
- As a condition of registration, all applicants shall provide:
- Evidence of completion of Bloodborne Pathogen Training with the last 12 months. Training must comply with the Safe Body Art Act, California Health and Safety Code, Chapter 7 of Part 15 of Division 104, commencing with Section 119300.
- First time registrants shall also submit the following documents:
- Evidence of current hepatitis B vaccination, including applicable boosters, unless the practitioner can demonstrate hepatitis B immunity, or a hepatitis B declination form.
- Proof of 18 years of age or older
When all these conditions are met, the registrant will be issued a registration certificate. Registration is valid for one year from the date of issuance and allows the artist to practice within Sonoma County at any permitted body art facility.
Practitioners must be registered with Sonoma County Environmental Health & Safety prior to practicing body art in Sonoma County. Practitioners are required to renew their registration annually and display the registration certificate in the body art facility where the practitioner is performing body art.
- Body Art Practitioner Registration Application (PDF: 326 Kb)
- Body Art Facility Plan Review Application
- Body Art Facility Permit Application (PDF: 48 Kb)
- Temporary Body Art Event Facility/Booth Permit Application (PDF:123 Kb)
- Temporary Body Art Event Practitioner Registration Application (PDF: 48 Kb)
- Temporary Body Art Event Organizer Application (PDF:73 Kb)
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Declination (PDF: 28 Kb)
- Sterilization Log (PDF: 76 Kb)
- Temporary Body Art Event Practitioner and Company List (PDF: 72Kb)
Guidelines and Checklists
- Health and Safety Standards for Temporary Body Art Events (PDF: 37 Kb)
- Infection Prevention and Control Plan Guidelines (PDF: 71 Kb)
- Temporary Body Art Event Organizer Requirements (PDF: 30 Kb)
Bloodborne Pathogen Training Providers
California Bloodborne Pathogen Training for Body Art Professionals (except LA and Sacramento County)
Bloodborne Pathogens and Infection Control for Tattooing and Body Piercing
#1 Premier Continuing Education
California: Bloodborne Pathogens and Safe Body Art Act Training
Cathie Montie’s Body Art Training Company
Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Training Class
Body Art Training Group
BBP 100- Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Training (California)
California- Bloodborne Pathogens for California Body Art
California Bloodborne Pathogens Training Course
Lee A. Ballesteros
Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens Training Program for Body Art Professionals
804 W. 3rd Street
Antioch, CA 94509
California Compliant Bloodborne for Body Art
Bloodborne Pathogens Tattoo Artist Course: Body Art Professional
Body Art Safety Seminars
Blood Borne Pathogen Prevention Certificate Programs
Compliance Training Online
Bloodborne Pathogens Tattoo Artist & Body Piercers
Association of Professional Piercers (approved for piercers ONLY)
Bloodborne Pathogens Standard for Body Piercers
Elite Permanent Makeup & Training Center
Bloodborne Pathogens Training
*Disclaimer: This list is for informational purposes only. The providers on this list are not affiliated with Sonoma County Environmental Health (EH). EH does not endorse any of the providers of BBP training courses. There are other courses available that are not on the list but may not be approved in accordance with Health & Safety Code Safe Body Art Law.
Body Art Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to questions about body art regulation in Sonoma County.