Skip to Content

Flood Damaged Property

Flood - 500

Properties Affected by the Floods

Has your property suffered or been destroyed by the Sonoma County Floods? The Assessor's Office is here to help you during this difficult time.

It is important to know that you have 12 months from the event date to file the Calamity Damage Reassessment form, so you can wait until your insurance agency has inspected your property before filling out the form.

If you will be living somewhere else for an extended period of time, please fill out a Change of Mailing Address Form right away so that we can contact you if needed.


First Steps To Take Following Flood Damage

Here are some of the important steps to take regarding your property assessment following the recent flood:

1. Submit a Calamity Damage Claim Form 

Property owners must submit a Calamity Damage Reassessment Claim form to the Assessor’s Office if there is damage over $10,000 and have twelve months to file the claim following the event date.  You may want to wait until you have some information from your insurance provider, or have contractor’s bids for repair work.  

The more accurate information our office receives, the better we are able to process your potential reassessment accurately and timely.

2. Submit a Change of Address Form

The next step is to fill out a change of address with our office if you are relocating, as soon as you know where you will be staying. Remember, you will need to fill out and submit an updated change of address form if you relocate again.

3. Pay the 2nd Property Tax Installment

It is important to know that you will still need to pay the 2nd installment of your 2018-19 tax bill so that you do not incur penalties.  We will not be adjusting the taxable values since those values were correct for the 2018-19 tax roll.  We will work the new flood calamity events after we close this upcoming roll, and work these calamities as supplemental events effective with the actual event date.  It will be retroactive.

ImportantImportant: specific questions regarding your tax bill should be directed to the Auditor Controller Treasurer Tax Collector’s office.

The Assessor's Office does not create or mail out tax bills or collect tax payments. The Sonoma County Treasurer-Tax Collector creates and mails property tax bills and collects Secured Property Taxes, Supplemental Property Taxes and Unsecured Property Taxes. 

Please call the Tax Collector's office at (707) 565-2281 for more information.

Additional Information

ImportantPlease note that we will not be sending appraisers out to do field inspections, or to the LAC/EOC Centers at this time. We do not need the calamity forms right away, since you have 12 months to file with our office.

ImportantIt is important for you to file the Change of Address form if you are relocating so that you will receive important notices from us.