Industrial Hemp Program
The Sonoma County Industrial Hemp Program was made possible through the promulgation of the Sonoma County Industrial Hemp Ordinance, adopted by the Board of Supervisors on January 6, 2020. The industrial hemp moratorium sunsets April 30, 2020 and the Industrial Hemp Program begins May 1, 2020.
Anyone wishing to cultivate industrial hemp in Sonoma County must register with California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) through the Sonoma County Department of Agriculture/Weights & Measures (AWM). In addition to state registration requirements, there are also local Sonoma County registration requirements. Registration must be completed and approved before cultivation.
Those wishing to cultivate industrial hemp shall register as a grower, a seed breeder, or both. Those wishing to produce and sell industrial hemp nursery stock for planting or cultivating must also possess a nursery license issued by CDFA, and may be required to register as a grower, a seed breeder, or both. Nursery stock means any plant for planting or for propagation.
In preparation of the Industrial Hemp Program, AWM will begin accepting registration applications April 16, 2020. Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, applications and payments need to be mailed to our office or placed in the drop box located outside our office entrance at 133 Aviation Boulevard, Suite 110, Santa Rosa, CA 95403.
Please note that while registration applications will be accepted beginning April 16, 2020, no registration applications will be approved prior to May 1, 2020 when the Industrial Hemp Program goes into effect. Do not plant or cultivate industrial hemp until registration has been approved. Any planting or cultivation before registration is approved may result in crop destruction and violations for unpermitted cannabis cultivation.
The following links below will help you prepare your registration paperwork for submission to AWM:
- CDFA Industrial Hemp Program
- California Industrial Hemp Laws and Regulations (PDF: 1.09 MB)
- CDFA Industrial Hemp Registration Packet for Growers (PDF: 3.34 MB)
- CDFA Industrial Hemp Registration Packet for Seed Breeders (PDF: 3.27 MB)
- CDFA Nursery License Application (PDF: 84.54 kB)
Forms and Reference Materials
- Sonoma County Industrial Hemp Ordinance (Chapter 37, Sonoma County Code) (PDF: 230 kB)
- AWM Industrial Hemp Registration Application (PDF: 208 kB)
- Sonoma County Industrial Hemp Best Management Practices (BMPs) (PDF: 233 kB)
- Industrial Hemp Registration Checklist (PDF: 256 kB)
- Industrial Hemp Registration Checklist Guidelines (PDF: 341 kB)
- AWM Site Suitability Mapping Application: http://sonomacounty.ca.gov/AWM-map