Collections and Archives Recognition Award
The Sonoma County Historical Records Commission’s Collections and Archives Recognition Award is an annual program to recognize the accomplishments and contributions of individuals, groups, agencies, collections, and archives located within Sonoma County. The award focuses on existing collections as well as recognizing special efforts to preserve and use archival material in promoting history and cultural preservation.
The Sonoma County Historical Records Commission will accept nominations as well as actively seek out individuals and organizations worthy of recognition under established criteria.
Broadly, recognition will be awarded for activities such as:
- Ongoing development and preservation of an archival collection
- Special exhibits, publications, partnerships, and programs using archival records
- Public education and advocacy work to promote historical records preservation
- Innovative or creative technical advancements in digitization or preservation of archival materials
- Successful government archives and records management programs
- Response to emergencies and disasters relevant to historical recordkeeping
Any individual (professional or non-professional), private group, local, county, state, federal and/or tribal governmental agency, or private or public collection or archive, located within the boundary of Sonoma County and practicing the collection and preservation of historical records, will qualify for the award.
While preferable, the recognized contribution or achievement will not necessarily have to have occurred during the award year. The Sonoma County Historical Records Commission will have the flexibility to use the award to recognize individual and organizations in their ongoing efforts to preserve and promote historical records.
The award is non-monetary. The issuance of the award will be accompanied by a press release and mention on the Sonoma County Historical Records Commission’s website as well as in other profession-related media. It will be presented by the Sonoma County Historical Records Commission at the Sonoma County Historical Society’s annual meeting.
The members of the Sonoma County Historical Records Commission will select the awardees.
Submit a Nomination
Nominations are due by January 12, 2023. Awardees will be honored during the Sonoma County Historical Society annual meeting to take place on March 12, 2023.
Presented at the Flamingo Hotel in Santa Rosa on March 20, 2022, in conjunction with the Sonoma County Historical Society's annual meeting, the following awardees received the inaugural Collections and Archives Recognition Awards:
- Judy Gustafson, in the category of Individual Excellence, was honored for more than 10 years of dedicated volunteer service to the Cotati Historical Society.
- Office of Cultural Resource Studies, Cal Trans District 4 and Special Collections Archive, Sonoma State University Library, in the category of Special Projects, were honored for their partnership in rescuing and preserving historical records relating to Highway 101 construction in Sonoma County from the early 1940s through the late 1960s.
- Santa Rosa High School Foundation, in the category of Education, was honored for its ongoing work with the Santa Rosa High School Museum to document the history of that nearly 150-year-old institution.
- Sonoma Valley Historical Society, Inc., in the category of Collaborative Partnerships, was honored for its ongoing work to document and preserve the valley's historical record.