Apply for CalFresh

Apply to CalFresh online, by phone, Fax, postal mail or in-person. If you cannot answer all the questions, you can submit an incomplete application with your name, address and signature, then work with our staff to complete the information.

You'll need to be ready to answer questions about:

  • The number of people in your home
  • The money you get from a job or other places
  • Your housing costs, including rent, mortgage and utilities
  • Some of the things you own
  • A few other bills

Apply Online

  • CalFresh only: in English and Spanish. You can fill out the application online, then we’ll call you for an interview.
  • CalFresh and Medi-Cal: in English and Spanish. Many people are eligible for both benefit programs. By applying at this website, you can find out. We’ll call you later for an in-person interview.

By Phone

In Person

Apply by Fax or Postal Mail

  • Fax: (707) 565-5252
  • Mail: P.O. Box 1539, Santa Rosa, CA 95402

Documents Needed

The following is a list of documents that could be needed to process your application.

  • Department of Motor Vehicles ID or Drivers License; Work or School ID; Passport/USCIS (Immigration) Documents
  • Department of Motor Vehicles ID or Drivers License; Postmarked envelope or postcard addressed to you; Utility Bill; Rental Agreement; Bill or other document with you name and address
  • Marriage or Domestic Partner Certificate; Birth Certificate; Court Papers (divorce, guardianship, etc.)
Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Social Security Card; Proof of application for SSN
Immigration Status
  • Permanent Residence Card; Green Card (I-551); Employment Authorization Card (I-766); Foreign Passport with Form I-94/I-94A; Notice of Action (I-797)
Earned Income
  • Pay Stubs; Letter from employer with gross pay, hours worked, etc; Self-Employment Tax Forms (IRS Schedule C, etc.)
Unearned Income
  • Disability/Retirement/Pension Award Letters; current benefit check; School Financial Aid
  • Bank Statements; Vehicle Registration; Mortgage Bills; Property Deeds; Life Insurance Policy; Stocks; Bonds; IRAs: Most Recent Retirement Account Statements
Housing & Utility Costs
  • Rental Agreement or Rent Receipt; Mortgage Bill; Utility Bill; Property Tax Statement; Home or Renter's Insurance Bills; Hotel/Motel Receipt
Medical Expenses
  • Medical Bills or Receipts; Medical Transportation Bills or Receipts; Health or Dental Insurance Policies or Premiums

Paper verifications will not be requested if the county already has current information or the information can be electronically verified.

If you are having difficulty obtaining the requested information, please let the Eligibility Specialist know. The County may be able to help you get the required documents.

If You Need Food Right Away

You may be able to get CalFresh benefits within three days depending on your income.