Biography of Susan Gorin
A native of Massachusetts, Susan Gorin grew up Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After high school graduation, Susan married Joe Gorin and the couple moved to Cambridge, MA while Joe completed his education and Susan continued her college education at Boston University.
Susan and Joe lived in Colorado for 9 years, where Joe began his career with Hewlett Packard and Susan worked as a Real Estate Appraiser.
Moving to Santa Rosa in 1982 with their young family, Susan attended Santa Rosa Junior College and continued her education at Sonoma State University, graduating in 1991 cum laude with degree in Political Science and Economics.
Susan served as an elected official in a number of positions in Sonoma County:
- Santa Rosa School Board (1996)
- Santa Rosa City Council (2006)
- Santa Rosa May (2008)
- Sonoma County Supervisor (2012)
Ms. Gorin holds a deep love for the outdoors which was honed by living in the Northeast and Colorado where she learned about the basic need to balance one's inner compass. This passion grew with her three decades of living in Sonoma County, guiding her service to the community.
Susan Gorin is serving her third and final term as 1st District Supervisor. She has announced her intention to retire at the end of her current term in December 2024.
Susan is proud of her accomplishments working with the Board of Supervisors and community, including:
- Formation of two Municipal Advisory Councils providing a voice to the community in unincorporated Sonoma County
- Adoption of the Sonoma Developmental Special Plan guiding the transition of the now closed SDC.
- Springs Specific Plan moving through adoption process in 2023.
- Service on the Sonoma Valley Groundwater Sustainability Agency, Bay Conservation and Development Commission, SF Bay Restoration Authority and Highway 37 Policy Committee guiding the planning efforts for the bays and infrastructure to cope with rising tides in the Bays and the depletion of the SV aquifer.
Sonoma County Water Advisory Committee – Chair
Sonoma County Mayor and Council members Association – Former Chair
Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) – Executive Board, Representing the Sonoma County Mayors and Council members
Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) – Executive Board, Representing our Sonoma County Mayors and Council members
Santa Rosa Mayor 2008 to 2010
City Council 2006 to present
City Planning Commission 2004 to 2006
City Board of Public Utilities 2002 to 2004
School Board (Santa Rosa City Schools) 1996 to 2000
League of Women Voters of Sonoma County – Former President
Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee – Former Chair
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) –Former President
Concerned Citizens for Santa Rosa – Former Co-chair
Sonoma County Public Library Foundation – Former Vice-President
Safe Havens for Youth – Former Advisory Board Member