In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
We help older adults and disabled persons -- from children to seniors-- have the in-home help them with day-to-day tasks they cannot do themselves, care that allows them to keep living safely at home, rather than moving to a care facility. Anyone can refer a client to IHSS, including family members, medical professionals or the client themselves.
Our clients find, employ and supervise their own caregivers, while payment and payroll is overseen by IHSS. IHSS Public Authority offers a registry of screened caregivers for IHSS clients to choose from.
IHSS Caregivers: Use Self-Service Payroll
Who is Eligible for IHSS In-Home Care?
Legal California residents of all ages who:
- live in their own homes or rent,
- need caregiver help to remain safely at home,
- and (one of the following):
- Receive full-scope Medi-Cal.
- Meet the financial requirements for Medi-Cal (though do not have be receiving Medi-Cal).
- Receive SSI / SSP benefits (Supplemental Security Income / State Supplementary Payment)
Find more eligibility information on the California Department of Social Services website.
How To Apply
(707) 565-5900, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.
Fax: (707) 565-5957
Anyone can call to refer a potential client for in-home care. People may call for themselves, or referrals can come from a neighbor, family member, hospital staff or other community organization. Completing the steps takes about 30 days:
- Call (707) 565-5900 to make a referral.
- The Initial Assessment Unit will describe what services IHSS offers.
After a Client is Referred
IHSS determines the client's financial eligibility.
Then, social worker makes a home visit to assess the services and the number of hours of care the client needs. Services are based on the client's medical condition or disability, plus the person's level of ability.
The client's home situation is reviewed annually or when changes affect the person's need for services.
What Help Can I Get?
Clients may get help for daily tasks, such as:
- Domestic Services - sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, dusting and picking up
- Related Domestic Services - meal preparation, meal clean-up, laundry and shopping
- Personal Care - bathing, grooming, bowel and bladder care, feeding, dressing, respiration, ambulation and care and assistance with prosthetics
- Transportation - transportation to medical appointments
- Protective Supervision - behavior monitoring due to chronic cognitive impairment
- Paramedical - certain types of care recommended by a physician
How to Find a Caregiver
Caregivers are Employed by the Client
Clients are responsible for finding, hiring and supervising the work of their IHSS caregiver. Like other employers, clients sign time sheets and can fire their caregivers. Payment is made through IHSS Payroll, including notification to the client of any share of cost or co-payment for services.
You can hire a caregiver who is a:
To find a screened caregiver, visit the Registry.
Once you know who you'd like to hire, a Provider Enrollment Form mailed to the caregiver. The client and caregiver must sign and submit the form before the caregiver receives her/his time sheet.
IHSS Payroll for Care Providers
Fax: (707) 565-5919
IHSS Payroll processes caregiver/provider time sheets to ensure prompt and accurate payments. In addition, IHSS Payroll also:
- Sends out timesheets and caregiver/provider packets
- Answers questions about payroll issues. For example, issues with paychecks, hours and time sheets
- Answers questions about how to start a caregiver/provider with IHSS.
Providers of care can get information about their timesheets and paychecks at (707) 565-2852 or online at sonomaproviderportal.org, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To talk with someone in-person, call (707) 565-2852 Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., and choose to be transferred to a staff person.