Published: November 19, 2018
Air quality conditions in Sonoma County remain poor. Currently, air quality is mostly in the “red”, unhealthy range. Due to the active wildfires and changing wind patterns our air quality may vary unpredictably however, current weather forecasts predict changes in the middle of this week. We
are hopeful that air quality conditions will improve after the weather changes. This health advisory will remain in effect, until the air quality significantly and consistently improves.
the elderly, and those with respiratory conditions such as asthma, lung disease
and heart disease are most at risk for harmful impacts.
As much as possible everyone should limit their time outdoors especially if the smell of smoke is present. Protect your health by following these healthy habits:
- Limit your time
outside and stay indoors as much as possible.
- If possible, seek shelter in buildings with filtered air OR move to areas outside the region less impacted by wildfire smoke until smoke levels subside.
- Keep your windows and doors closed unless it’s extremely hot outside.
- Run your home or car air conditioner on recycle or recirculate. Keep the fresh air intake closed and the filter clean to prevent bringing additional smoke inside.
- If you or your children have asthma or other lung disease, make sure you follow your doctor’s directions about taking your medicines and following your asthma management plan. Call your doctor for advice if symptoms worsen or consider leaving the area.
- Because of the serious air quality conditions, residents should avoid adding additional air pollution by curtailing wood burning, lawn mowing and leaf blowing, driving and barbecuing.
Follow the trend of air quality at this website: https://www.purpleair.com/map#7.79/38.272/-122.006
Note the monitors providing data to this sight are not routinely calibrated and air quality experts indicate the data from these monitors “run high”.
Data from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District’s (BAAQMD) Sebastopol monitor, which is maintained by air quality experts, is located here: