Santa Rosa, CA – December 12, 2017 – On Tuesday, December 12, the County of Sonoma Board of Supervisors will present the prestigious Jefferson Award to two local nonprofit organizations and four individuals for their “Excellence in Community Leadership and Civic Engagement.”
“The Board of Supervisors greatly values the relationships the county has with local community partners,” commented Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Shirlee Zane. “These relationships help leverage resources to maximize high quality services to the community.”
The Jefferson Awards Program is a national recognition system designed to highlight public service in America. The Program was started in 1972 by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, US Senator Robert Taft, Jr., and Sam Beard, staff to Bobby Kennedy. The program was adopted locally by the County of Sonoma Board of Supervisors and was designed to highlight the value of nonprofit organizations, boards, commissions, and advisory bodies, as well as individual efforts for “Excellence in Community Leadership and Civic Engagement.”
Each year the Board of Supervisors solicits nominations from the public for this prestigious award. This year there were 21 well-qualified exceptional individuals, non-profits, and boards who were nominated because they demonstrated the characteristics and essence of the Jefferson Awards. Six nominations were selected as the 2017 award recipients, as follows:
- Chris Brokate (Individual) – founder of Clean River Alliance and environmental activist.
- Lisa Carreño (Individual) – involved in many aspects of community service.
- Tony Crabb (Individual) – founder of Career Technical Education Foundation.
- Richard Dale and Caitlin Cornwall (Individual) – dedicated leaders at the Sonoma Ecology Center.
- North Bay Industries (Nonprofit) – creating opportunities for adults with disabilities.
- PDI Surgery Center (Nonprofit) – providing critical dental surgery to underserved families.
This year’s presentation will feature speaker Freda Statom, Executive Regional Director of Jefferson Awards Foundation for the San Francisco Bay Area.
For Jefferson Award specific questions, contact Sylvia Lemus at (707) 565-1702 or firstname.lastname@example.org.