CalFresh and COVID-19
California continues their response to the COVID-19 pandemic and economic impacts with enhanced CalFresh benefits for households. Many of the additional benefits are temporary and are subject to approval from the Food & Nutrition Service (FNS), which operates under the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- At this time, there is no waiver or alleviation of reporting requirements. Semi-annual reports and recertifications must be submited by the due date to avoid a potential break in benefits.
- CalFresh benefits will be temporarily increased by 15% effective January 1, 2021 - September 30, 2021. A supplemental benefit issuance for January and February 2021 was loaded onto EBT cards on February 7, 2021. The March 2021 – September 30, 2021 benefit increases will be issued on the household’s normal issuance day.
- CalFresh eligibility has been temporarily expanded to students who are eligible for federal or state work study (previously students had to be eligible and participate) or students with an Expected Family Contribution of zero dollars.
- Until further notice, California is providing CalFresh emergency allotments to eligible households. Emergency allotments raise each household's regular monthly CalFresh allotment to at least the maximum allowable allotment based on household size. Emergency Allotments are issued for the past benefit month, not the current month. The dates will differ and not be aligned with the regular load dates that occur based on the last number of the case number (1st -10th of the month).
- Please refer to the chart below for the Emergency Allotment issuance dates.
|CalFresh Emergency Allotment Month||Issuance Date|
|March 2020||April 12, 2020|
|April 2020||May 10, 2020|
|May 2020||June 14, 2020|
|June 2020||July 12, 2020|
|July 2020||August 15, 2020|
|August 2020||September 13, 2020|
|September 2020||October 18, 2020|
|October 2020||November 15, 2020|
|November 2020||December 20, 2020|
|December 2020||January 10, 2021|
|January 2021||February 14, 2021|
|February 2021||March 7, 2021|
|March 2021||April 18, 2021|
|April 2021||May 16, 2021|
|May 2021||June 13, 2021|
|June 2021||July 18, 2021|
|July 2021||August 8, 2021|
|August 2021||September 11, 2021|
|September 2021||October 24, 2021|
|October 2021||November 11, 2021|
|November 2021||December 12, 2021|
|December 2021||January 15, 2022|
|January 2022||February 27, 2022|
|February 2022||March 20, 2022|
|March 2022||April 17, 2022|
|April 2022||May 22, 2022|
|May 2022||June 19, 2022|
|June 2022||July 23, 2022|
|July 2022||August 21,2022|
If the CalFresh case was not approved or active on the date the Emergency Allotments are scheduled to issue, the household will have to wait until the following Issuance Date, but will receive any previously un-issued Emergency Allotment benefits on that date as well.
Pandemic EBT (P-EBT)
The P-EBT 2.0 program has ended for the 20/21 school year and no additional benefits will be issued to those cards.
CA has applied for P-EBT 3.0 benefits for the 21/22 school year and will release more details soon. At this time the county does not have any additional information on P-EBT 3.0. For more information on the Pandemic EBT program, visit https://capandemic-ebt.org/
If you have questions regarding your child's P-EBT eligibility or card status, please call the P-EBT Helpline at (877) 328-9677. Representatives are available to assist callers Monday-Friday, 6am-6pm