Foster Parent a Shelter Animal
Want to be a superhero? Become an animal foster parent.
Sonoma County Animal Services helps animals in need. Year-round, we need animal foster parents for:
- orphaned kittens and puppies
- injured animals recovering from surgery
- animals of advanced age
- dogs who need socialization and training
If helping the neediest pulls at your heartstrings, consider becoming an animal foster parent. Fostering provides support to:
- help animals get ready for adoption
- keep them safe and comfortable while recovering from illness or injury
- provide a calm and stable environment for adult dogs who need the support of a nurturing home to protect their well-being while they await adoption
How to Get Started
If fostering interests you, please take these steps:
- Watch our Foster Program Training presentation.
- Read our Foster Program Manual for information about our program.
- Complete our Foster Program Application and Contract and send the document to us.
Once we receive your application and contract, we will contact you and get you started as a foster. Please allow several days before you may hear back from us due to staffing. Thank you for your support and understanding.
Fostering is one of the best ways to make a difference for shelter animals, and Sonoma County Animal Services is grateful to all the special people who provide foster homes. We look forward to hearing from you!
Spread the Word!
If you'd like to spread the word about fostering, please download and distribute this flyer about our program.