Continuum of Care Governance and Compliance
To help agencies ensure their funded programs are compliant with local, state and federal standards, we have provided the following references to guidelines for homeless service projects by funding source.
Sonoma County CoC Governance Charter
This Governance Charter and associated Policies and Procedures memorialize how stakeholders meet the federally-defined responsibilities of operating a US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Continuum of Care as found in the Program Rule at 24 CFR Part 578. As described, HUD empowers and expects the Sonoma Continuum of Care to lead local policy and program development around homelessness. The CoC also determines the Collaborative Applicant (the agency that coordinates the CoC’s HUD application, among other things), Homeless Management Information Systems (HMIS) provider, Coordinated Entry operator, and the lead administrative agency.
Sonoma County CoC Governance Charter April 26, 2023 (PDF: 668 kB)
CoC Program Standards
Each major Housing First project category has certain regulations.
- Definitions of Homelessness
- Program Standards for Emergency Shelters (PDF)
- Program Standards for Homeless Prevention and Diversion Programs (PDF)
- Program Standards for Permanent Supportive Housing(PDF)
- Program Standards for Rapid Re-Housing Programs (PDF)
Continuum of Care: Permanent Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless
As of January 16, 2016, Continuum of Care Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) projects are required to serve persons that are chronically homeless and may only accept new program participants that meet this definition (either 100% dedicated or dedicatedPLUS). Please refer to the Guide and verification packets to ensure compliance.
- Presentation: Chronic Homeless Documentation Training 9/28/2022
- Chronic Homeless Documentation Training 8/20/2021
- Chronic Homeless Documentation Guide
- Chronic Homeless Verification Packet
- Chronic Homeless Self-Certification Form
- Permanent Supportive Housing disability Verification request form
- Permanent Supportive Housing Disability Verification Template
- DedicatedPLUS Verification Packet
- Certification of Homelessness from a Third-Party Housing or Service Provider
Regulations, Desk Guides, and Other HUD Resources
Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing (HEARTH) Act
Administering CoC Projects
Information on the CoC national competition and previous award recipients