Tips for Dental Health
Did you know that dental disease is California's most common health problem for our children, and can cause serious health problems in children and adults alike? Prevention and treatment of dental disease is critical to making sure you stay healthy and keep your teeth for life!
Tips for Everyone
- Take care of your teeth at all ages - untreated tooth decay can cause major health problems such as serious heart infections and diabetes.
- Brush at least twice a day with a pea-sized amount of fluoride tooth paste, and use floss.
- Drink fluoridated tap water, if available (currently only in Healdsburg in Sonoma County).
- Stay away from sugary drinks like soda, sweetened teas, or too much juice. Drink tap water, mineral water or low fat milk.
- Eat fruits or vegetables for snacks rather than candy, chips, or cookies.
- Regular dental visits for the whole family help protect you and your children from cavities - and can save you money by catching problems before they become serious.
Tips for Your Children
Early prevention of tooth decay means healthy teeth for life!
Did you know that dental disease is California''s most common health problem for our children?
Untreated dental decay or "cavities" can cause pain and difficulty eating. It affects a child''s ability to learn and attend school and is the most common health problem for children today. 5 of 10 Sonoma County children suffer from dental decay. It is also one of the most widespread health problems for adults.
- Take your child to the dentist by age one.
- Brush your children's teeth until the age of six. Children under 7 or even 8, cannot do a good job without your help.
- Brush twice a day with a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste, and use floss.
- Drink fluoridated tap water, if available, or if not, talk to your doctor or dentist about fluoride for your child.
- Avoid soda and other sugary drinks, try water instead whenever possible.
- Avoid unhealthy snacks like candy, chips, and cookies. Try fruit or vegetables.
- Never let a baby go to sleep with a bottle of anything but water.
Regular dental visits for the whole family help protect you and your children from cavities – and can save you money by catching problems before they become serious.