2019 Pavement Preservation Program - Chip, Fog and Slurry Seals (M19500)
This project includes road surface treatments of various county roadways using Chip Seal, Fog Seal, and Slurry Seal, as described below. Other work included, but not limited to applying traffic striping, repairing pavement structural section, clearing roadside ditches and shoulder grading. Bicycle demarcations and PASS 3 FT MIN signs will be installed where applicable, as requested by the Sonoma County Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee.
This project was awarded on May 14, 2019 to the lowest bidder, based on the “Base Bid Total” plus “Alternate Bid B Total”.
About the Treatment Types
A Chip Seal is liquid asphalt is sprayed onto the pavement followed immediately by spreading on a thin layer of uniformly sized aggregate chips. The new surface is then rolled to embed the chips in the asphalt. Once the asphalt has cured (usually taking about 24 hours or less) any loose chips are swept up.
Chip seals are relatively inexpensive, as compared to conventional hot mix asphalt overlays, and are fast and easy process (usually completed in 24 hours or less). A chip seal can extend pavement life by 5 to 7 years.
A fog seal is a light application of a diluted slow-setting asphalt emulsion to the surface of an aged pavement surface. Fog seals are low-cost and are used to restore flexibility to an existing asphalt pavement surface.
A slurry seal is the application of a mixture of water, asphalt emulsion, aggregate (very small crushed rock), and additives to an existing asphalt pavement surface. A slurry seal is similar to a fog seal except the slurry seal has aggregates as part of the mixture. Micro-Surfacing is similar to slurry seal, except it hardens quicker.
• Arnold Drive – Boyes Blvd to Madrone
• Canyon Road – Dry Creek Rd to Highway 101
• Franz Valley Road – Porter Creek Road to Franz Valley School Rd
• Hunter Lane – Dead End to Hunter Ln Extension
• Moscow Road – Highway 116 to Starrett Hill Rd
• Ross Road – Graton Rd to Green Valley Rd
• Thompson Lane – Bodega Ave to Skillman Ln
• Todd Road – Bridge (Laguna De Santa Rosa) to Llano Rd
• Westside Road – Mill Creek Rd to Highway 101
• Yoakim Bridge Road – West Dry Creek Rd to Dry Creek Rd
• Riebli Road – City Limits (Santa Rosa) to Hidden Hills Dr (Alternate Bid A)
• River Road – Highway 128 to Vineyard Rd (Alternate Bid B)
• Petaluma Hill Road – East Cotati Ave to Rohnert Park Expressway
• Guerneville Road – Highway 116 to City Limits (Santa Rosa)
• Alexander Valley Road – Healdsburg Ave to Bridge (Russian River/Jimtown)
• Armstrong Woods Road – Highway 116 to State Park (Armstrong Woods)
• Fifth Street East – East Watmaugh Rd to City Limits (Sonoma)
• Healdsburg Avenue – Alexander Valley Rd to Lytton Springs Rd
• Pepper Road – Mecham Rd to Stony Point Rd
• Old Redwood Highway – Pacific Heights Dr to Airport Blvd (Alternate Bid C)