On May 18, 2021, the Board voted 5-0 to reject the Planning Commission’s recommendation to adopt the Commercial Cannabis Cultivation in Agricultural and Resource Areas Ordinance, also known as Chapter 38, which would have streamlined permitting for cannabis cultivation within Agricultural and Resource zoned parcels in Sonoma County. Read the Board Summary Report and Attachments here.
The Board of Supervisors directed staff to complete a comprehensive update of the cannabis program, which includes review and potential update to the County Code, as well as conducting an Environmental Impact Report, as expeditiously as possible.
The project launching phase focuses on collecting stakeholders' interests and concerns, which will assist in developing materials to conduct a Board Workshop on September 28, 2021, resulting in the identification of the Board's cannabis policy goals that will be the basis for the scope of the environmental impact report.
Staff anticipates the following dates as key milestones:
- June 8, 2021 Board approval of initial resources request
- Week of August 8, 2021 Topic-based Public Workshops
- September 28, 2021 Board Workshop on Project Goals
- ~January 2022 Draft Ordinance Complete
- ~June, 2022 EIR Professional Services Agreement Board Award
- ~Fall 2023 Draft EIR to Planning Commission for public comment
- ~Spring 2024 Planning Commission Hearing on Proposed Ordinance
- ~Summer 2024 Board Hearing on Proposed Ordinance
Read the June 8, 2021 Board Summary Report here.
Information regarding the upcoming public workshops will be available on this website. Be sure to sign up for Cannabis Program updates.