2018 - 2019 SCPAMemorandum of Understanding: Article 9: Staff Development
What’s on this Page:
- 9.1 Staff Development and Wellness Benefit Allowance – Amount
- 9.2 Staff Development / Wellness Benefit Allowance – Computer Hardware And Mobile Devices
- 9.3 Staff Development – Additional Amount
- 9.4 Annual Staff Development / Wellness Allowance
- 9.5 Continuing Education Leave
- 9.6 In-Service Training
- 9.6.1 Authorization
- 9.6.2 Payment For In-Service Training
- 9.7 Article 9, Staff Development, Non-Grievable
9.1 Staff Development and Wellness Benefit Allowance – Amount
Full time and part time (.40 FTE and greater) employees who are in allocated positions are eligible for Staff Development and Wellness Benefit Allowance. As specified in the chart below, full-time and part-time employees shall receive reimbursement pursuant to the provisions of the Staff Development and Wellness Benefit Allowance Program Administrative Manual.
> .75 FTE
.40 - .74 FTE
|Annual Staff Development/Wellness Allowance||$1,250||$1,250||$800|
|Effective July 1, 2016 (subject to provisions of Section 9.3)
Additional Annual Staff Development Allowance
Funds may not be carried over into the next fiscal year. Use of funds subject to approval and provisions of the Staff Development Administrative Manual and may be taxable pursuant to the Internal Revenue Code.
9.2 Staff Development / Wellness Benefit Allowance – Computer Hardware And Mobile Devices
Staff Development / Wellness Benefit Allowance may be used towards reimbursement for the purchase of computer hardware as defined in the County’s Staff Development Benefit Program Allowance Administrative Manual. Monthly service charges for internet and mobile communication connections are not reimbursable under this Program. The use and approval of all computer hardware, and mobile devices is subject to review by the department head or designee and is subject to the specific job requirements for each job classification. All computer hardware, and mobile devices must be directly job related, must be used for County business a minimum of 50% of their use and requires department head or designee authorization in order to qualify for reimbursement. Department Head authorization for the use of this benefit towards reimbursements for computer hardware, and mobile devices must be outlined and approved in the employees’ annual Professional Development Plan document and will be considered together with other staff development training and educational priorities required by the Department Head.
9.3 Staff Development – Additional Amount
Effective July 1, 2016, an additional annual allowance may be used for Staff Development as outlined in the County’s Staff Development Benefit Allowance Program Administrative Manual. The additional annual amounts of the allowance which can be used towards reimbursable expenses for this benefit are specified in the chart in Section 9.1, and shall be limited to professional development expenses (i.e. membership dues, conference and training fees, books, legal manuals).
9.4 Annual Staff Development / Wellness Allowance
On the date of County Board of Supervisors’ approval of this successor MOU, the fiscal year Staff Development / Wellness Benefit Allowance may be used towards reimbursement for allowable physical fitness and/or wellness programs. Reimbursement of expenses will be based on the MOU in effect on the purchase date.
9.5 Continuing Education Leave
When a continuing education course is offered during an employee’s normal work schedule, the employee may be authorized continuing education leave. Continuing education leave authorization shall be subject to the approval of the Department Head and must be directly related to the employee’s present position or career advancement within the department. Continuing education leave shall be considered as time worked.
9.6 In-Service Training
Attendance at in-service training courses may be authorized by the Department Head.
9.6.2 Payment For In-Service Training
There are three ways the expenses of the program may be paid:
- By the County: Expenditures for travel, meals, lodging, registration and other items included annually within the department budget, with prior Department Head approval.
- By other public or private agencies: Expenditures paid by grants from the State or Federal governments, from private organization or from professional organizations.
- By the individual employee: The employee may pay the in-service training expenses in whole or in part from the employee’s private resources, if the employee requests and receives approval from the Department Head for paid release time to attend the authorized training.
9.7 Article 9, Staff Development, Non-Grievable
Article 9 is not arbitrable. However, Article 9 is grievable and subject to mediation.