2018 - 2019 DSLEMMemorandum of Understanding: Article 3: Definitions
Return to DSLEM 2018 - 2019 MOU Table of Contents
What’s on this Page
None of the following definitions are intended to apply in the administration of the County Employee’s Retirement Law of 1937 or to the County’s Civil Service Ordinance nor the Rules of Civil Service Commission.
3.2 Definition of Terms
A | B | C | D | E | F | P | R | S
APPROVED LEAVE OF ABSENCE:
Any paid or unpaid absence from work that has been approved by the employee’s department head.
BASE HOURLY RATE:
The base hourly rate shall be the hourly rate corresponding to the salary step in the salary range/scale to which the employee is assigned.
BI-WEEKLY PAY PERIOD:
Fourteen (14) consecutive calendar days which begins on a Tuesday and ends with the second Monday thereafter.
BREAK IN SERVICE:
A break in employment from the County such as a termination or resignation. A break in service does not occur because an employee is on an unpaid status.
January 1 through December 31
Time off with pay at the base hourly rate to which an employee is entitled, as provided for in this Memorandum, instead of cash compensation.
The County of Sonoma, any of its organizational units or boards and commissions, as administratively determined by the County; may include department head, Board of Supervisors, Chief Administrative Officer or a supervisor.
Sheriff, Coroner or his/her designees.
The term “domestic partner” as used in the MOU is based on the definition below:
- A “domestic partnership” shall exist between two persons, one of whom is an employee of the County, covered by this Memorandum of Understanding, regardless of their gender and each of them shall be the “domestic partner” of the other if they both complete, sign, and cause to be filed with the County an “Affidavit of Domestic Partnership” attesting to the following:
- the two parties reside together and share the common necessities of life;
- the two parties are not married to anyone, eighteen years or older, not related by blood closer than would bar marriage in the State of California, and mentally competent to consent to contract and are not acting under fraud or duress;
- the two parties declare that they are each other’s sole domestic partner and they are responsible for their common welfare;
- the two parties agree to notify the County in writing if there is a change of circumstances attested to in the affidavit; and
- the two parties affirm, under penalty of perjury, that the assertions in the affidavit are true to the best of their knowledge.
The performance of County functions or services necessary, in the opinion of the County, to protect or preserve the lives, safety, health, or property of the County or the public it serves, but “emergency operations” shall not be construed to mean situations where the County knew in advance of non-emergency situations and could have reasonably planned for any work schedule change necessary to adequately cope with the situation.
Any person legally employed by the County and a member of the bargaining unit represented by the Association.
An employee who is employed in an allocated position which is regularly scheduled for 80 hours of work in each pay period.
An employee who is employed in an allocated position which requires work each pay period, but less than that required of a fulltime employee.
EXTRA HELP EMPLOYEES:
As defined in the Civil Service Rules and not represented by this bargaining unit.
FLEX-TIME WORK SCHEDULE:
A non-regular work schedule with or without a consistent pattern as to the number of work hours per day or week, but an arrangement whereby the employee is obligated to perform work and be responsible for flexing the hours of his/her own work schedule.
Whenever an employee is at work, absent on a paid holiday, absent on leave with pay, or absent on authorized compensatory time off.
An employee who is serving a probationary period as provided in the Civil Service Rules.
A period which shall be used by the department head to determine the employee’s fitness for permanent status in accordance with the Civil Service Rules.
REGULAR WORK DAY:
A 24-hour period containing a specified number of hours of work and normally interrupted by a meal break.
Means only wages and premiums, but does not include benefits such as insurance, vehicle use, paid leaves or other economic benefits.
SALARY RANGE or SALARY SCALE:
The salary level for any given classification. The salary range/scale shall consist of nine salary steps, each approximately 2-l/2% apart and identified with the letter “A” through “I”. Each salary range/scale shall be identified by a number that shall correspond with the cents per hour of the “A” step of that salary range/scale. Similarly, each step of the salary range/scale shall be expressed in cents per hour.