Student Poll Worker Program
The Sonoma County Registrar of Voter’s Office is currently in the process of transitioning to a new voting model which will change the procedures at the polls (now called Vote Centers). Vote Centers will be open for 11 days or 4 days depending on the location. Early voting hours will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Sonoma County Registrar of Voters office operates a successful Student Poll Worker Program. California State law allows eligible students to be appointed to serve as poll workers in a Vote Center on Election Day and/or Early Voting Days.
High school teachers and counselors are encouraged to talk with their students about this unique "behind-the-scenes" view of elections.
Students gain invaluable experience as Election Officials. They receive "hands-on" experience and training in elections administration, and gain an appreciation for the importance of public service and the significance of the democratic process.
Students will receive a stipend of $125 for participating in the program.
To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old on, or before, the first day of service
- Be a United States citizen or a lawfully admitted permanent resident on, or before, the first day of service
- Be a student in good standing, attending a public or private secondary educational institution
- Possess a GPA of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
Note: Students are not required to be registered to vote in order to be part of this program.
Students who participate in the program must complete the following assignments:
- Watch online training videos prior to the first day of service
- Become a member of the Poll Worker Board and participate in the operation of a Vote Center
- Perform duties assigned by the Inspector (the "lead" poll worker). This includes, but is not limited to, the following: locate voter names on roster laptops; obtain voter signatures; provide simple instruction to voters; issue, receive, and deposit ballot card(s); help set up and clean up the Vote Center.
Note: Election Day hours are from approximately 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Early Voting Day hours are from approximately 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
If you would like to participate in the Student Poll Worker Program, complete the following steps:
- Print the Student Precinct Officer Program Nomination/Application Form (PDF: 26 kB)
- Complete the application form
- Mail completed forms to the Registrar of Voters Office or fax to (707) 565-6843
To obtain more information about the Student Poll Worker Program, contact the Registrar of Voters office or request information by email from firstname.lastname@example.org.