Steven Lovejoy (Chair)
Eric Stanley (Vice-Chair)
Associate Members present:
Amanda King, Secretary
Ann Hammond, Director, Sonoma County Library
Deva Marie Proto, County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor-Registrar of Voters
Deborah Doyle, Library Commissioner (LC) Liaison to the HRC
Margaret Purser, Anthropology Professor at Sonoma State University
Michael Von der Porten, Local Retired Citizen, Treasurer for Sonoma County Historical Society
- Call to order 4:02 pm
- Swearing in New Commissioner, Gretchen Emmert
- Introduction of Guests
February 11, 2021 Minutes approved
- Motion by John Murphey
- Second by Eric Stanley
- $4,292 balance
- Obtain Business Cards for Gretchen Emmert and Margaret Purser
- Continuing Business
- HRC Commissioners Report
- Steven's report:
- Talked with Deputy County Counsel, Linda Schiltgen. She would like to give us a 1 hour talk on the Brown Act, during our meeting April 8. Shorter presentation on Public Records and Social Media on May 13.
- Deborah Lindley to speak on May 13 about how retention schedules are created and approved.
- Secretary to put together a New Member Packet
- John's report:
- Working with Secretary to have a formal County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor presentation for the class at SSU.
- Eric's report:
- Gretchen's report:
- Talking with City Clerk at City of Santa Rosa about what has been talked about during the meetings.
- Received new member packet
- Margaret's report:
- Not a commissioner yet
- Signed up for 2 appointments follow up from an old mapping project. People getting in touch for access to historical maps.
- Library Commissioner Report
- Update from Ann Hammond:
- Los Guilicos lease was due to expire on March 31, 2021. Contacted the County that the lease was about to expire. Offered to extend on month-to-month basis. Lease extended through August 31, 2021.
- Trying to schedule a meeting of the Archives Task Force
- Update from Deborah Doyle:
- LC was in the middle of a strategic plan pre-COVID.
- Reimagining the strategic plan and get the needs to community and try to see how the library may respond to that.
- Budget process – what does Sonoma County need long term from the Library?
- President signed the COVID relief bill today and there are many dollars for library and museums. If we had more broadband we may have more electronic records.
- Build America’s Libraries Act, Congressman Huffman, in the House of Representatives for review.
- Library performing an in-house inventory of the Archives underway
- Archives Activity Report
- Materials are being retrieved and photographed to fill requests
- Archives Task Force Report
- Library Director is working to schedule a meeting
- Vacant HRC Member seat(s)
- The appointment of Margaret Purser to the vacancy left by Joyce Sayed will be on the March 16, 2021 Board of Supervisors Agenda as Item number 2021-0126, will join the Commission on April 8, 2021.
- Strategic Planning
- Table this until we have five members
- Collections & Archives Recognition Awards
- Update from Eric Stanley:
- Background on the Awards: Many years we had the Peterson Prize, which a cash prize was given to a person who produced a publication or writing based on public records. Due to dwindling submissions, we started down the path of revising how we would approach this recognition.
- It would be a stand-alone recognition award not dependent on applications. Nominations decided by the Commissioners.
- Put on a parallel track with the Sonoma County Historical Society’s award program at their annual luncheon.
- Contacted Ray Johnson, President, if they feel they will be able to hold their luncheon in October 2021. They are not sure if it will still go on but the HRC still may proceed with presenting at that time.
- To proceed, we will need to agree among the HRC to bring nominations within the next 1-2 meetings. Depending on number of nominations, maybe put up a form online for outside nominations?
- Goal is to give HRC a platform and a place to say something.
- John: I thought we were stuck on what the award would look like? I think a certificate with our name and the society's name on it would be sufficient. There was discussion about money attached.
- Eric: The goal of the program is for recognition so certificate makes sense to me.
- Steve: Historical Society has had no nominations for any of their awards. Planning on an October 2021 event at the Flamingo. Event is up in the air.
- Steve: could be awarded by Historical Society and presented by HRC
- Eric to send out the Nomination Form.
- John reached out to Katherine Rinehart and the Landmarks Commission regarding update of the 2004 HRC/Landmarks Commission Pamphlet “ Researching the History of Your Sonoma County Building”.
- John to work with Margaret and form a committee to update the pamphlet.
- Secretary to add regular agenda item for this pamphlet update
- Bylaws amendment
- Proposed Bylaws updates:
- Meeting date/time to “once a month as determined by the Commission” instead of the “Tuesday” meeting to be language neutral.
- gender neutral language
- Discussion on updates to Article 3 non-voting membership area
- Secretary to update Non-Voting Members on Agendas:
- from Carolyn Staats to Deborah Lindley
- add LC Liaison Deborah Doyle
- New Business
- Public Comment
- Sonoma County Heritage Network Meeting, April 10, 2021, 10am to 12pm, on ZOOM.
- Library Commission meeting, April 5, 2021, on ZOOM
- Advocates of the Sonoma County Archives, holding Facebook events online as an introduction to the Archives.
- Museum of Sonoma County Online Exhibits:
- Michael Von der Porten discussion on Public Health Department data related to COVID. What kind of materials are they storing and making available to researchers?
- Meeting adjourned at 4:55PM
Next Meeting - April 8, 2021 - WebEx, 4:00PM