Rebuilding Together

Rebuilding & Accessory Units

As you work on the design to rebuild your home, we encourage you to consider including adding Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) to your building plans.

We realize the financial burden that is involved in rebuilding your home. Building Accessory Units and Junior Units into your home will provide revenue streams for you, while increasing the availability of rental housing in the county. These units also provide flexibility for aging in place by creating space for family and/or caregivers while maintaining homeowners' privacy.   

All residential properties can have a junior dwelling unit by converting a bedroom to include an efficiency kitchen and separate entrance. Accessory dwellings are allowed where the parcel meets certain criteria (e.g. minimum parcel size and septic requirements). A single parcel that meets the criteria can have both a junior and accessory dwelling unit in addition to the primary residence. The County is allowing residents to build detached accessory dwelling units to live in while they are rebuilding their main residence.

Learn More About Accessory Dwelling Units & Junior Units

Incentive for Construction of New Accessory Dwelling Units

Development impact fees that are typically charged on new residential units to cover the cost of improvements needed for traffic and parks has been reduced or waived for new accessory dwelling units in the burn areas as noted below. The fee reduction is intended to encourage construction or installation of accessory dwelling units to house fire victims while rebuilding or add to the rental housing stock.

Size of UnitParks and Traffic Impact
Fee Reduction
0-750 square feetFees waived
751-1,000 square feet50% of fees

Accessory Units & Junior Units

Accessory Dwelling Units & Junior Accessory Dwelling Units
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) are an inexpensive way to create smaller, more affordable rental housing units.

Permit Sonoma

Go to Permit Sonoma

Permit Sonoma

Permit Sonoma handles construction and land use permitting for unincorporated Sonoma County including rebuilding after disasters.