The first phase of this project is to study the feasibility of developing an approximately 19.3-mile paved trail along the lower Russian River between Mirabel Park and Jenner. The Lower Russian River Trail study area starts at River and Mirabel Roads and continues southwest along the River Road corridor and State Highway 116 to Jenner.
The trail project is identified as a high priority in the 2010 Sonoma County Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan and in the 2009 Lower Russian River Community-Based Transportation Plan.
The scope of the feasibility study will include gathering input from the community and stakeholders, evaluating existing site conditions and roads, mapping, identifying opportunities and constraints, and recommending a preferred trail route.
- Develop a fun, safe, and scenic route for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Provide bicyclists and pedestrians an alternate route to Highway 116 and River Road.
- Construct 19.3 miles of Class 1 bikeway (trail) paralleling the Russian River.
- Connect the trail to communities, parks, recreational facilities and businesses between Mirabel Park and Jenner.
- Attract additional tourism for local businesses.