Vacation Rental Permit
Vacation rentals are the rental of a private residence for periods of 30 days or less. Vacation Rentals do not include Bed and Breakfast Inns or hosted rentals permitted in accordance with the Sonoma County Code for B&Bs and hosted rentals, or occasional home exchanges that are not otherwise subject to Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT). Vacation rentals must have a Certified Vacation Property Manager and meet Performance Standards to ensure compatibility with surrounding residential uses.
Coastal Zone: The Vacation Rentals Ordinance has not been adopted for the Sonoma coast (e.g. Sea Ranch, Bodega Bay) and is not applicable to rentals in those communities. However, the owners of Coastal Zone vacation rentals must register to pay Transient Occupancy Tax.
Vacation Rentals vs. Hosted Rentals
Find out which situation applies to your property.
Short-term Rental Limitations Health Order
Updates to the Sonoma County Health Officer’s Shelter in Place order went into effect June 19, 2020 at 12:01 AM. Broader use of short term rentals is allowed. You must view the order for more information about the use of short term rentals.
View the Health Order
View State of California Guidance (PDF)
Where are Vacation Rentals Allowed?
Vacation rentals are allowed (with permit) in the following locations:
- In homes in single-family residential zoning districts (AR, RR, and R1)
- In existing single-family residences in the LC zoning district
- Agricultural and resource zones including LEA, DA, and RRD (except for lands within an Agricultural Preserve that is subject to a Land Conservation Act (Williamson Act) Contract)
Vacation rentals are not allowed in the following locations:
- Higher-density residential districts (R2, R3, PC)
- Lands within an Agricultural Preserve that is subject to a Land Conservation Act (Williamson Act) Contract
- Land Intensive Agriculture (LIA) zoned properties
- Accessory Dwelling Units (previously known as Second Dwelling Units)
- Farm Family, Agricultural Employee, or Farmworker housing units
- Non-habitable structures
- Areas designated (e.g. the Exclusion (X) Combining District)
- Areas within the burn zones of the 2017 Sonoma Complex Fire and the 2019 Kincade Fire
If you are unsure of what your zoning is, please consult Permit Sonoma's Official Zoning Database.
Apply for a Vacation Rental Permit
We are currently accepting applications during COVID-19 virtual office via email with a delayed completion date. They are currently not accepted by regular mail or in person.
Vacation Rental Application Forms
All forms listed must be completed (no blank spaces) with all the additional instructions on each form followed before submission.
Certified Property Manager Requirement
All new vacation rental permits are required to provide the 24 hour contact information of a property manager who has already passed the property manager certification exam and paid the fee.
Vacation Rental Permit Fees
All fees must be paid to obtain permit. Staff will assess fees and provide an invoice.
- 1166 – Zoning Permit Level II Fee
- 1163 – Annual Monitoring Fee (prorated by quarter)
- 0140 – Tech Enhancement Fee Tier Type II
View Fee Schedule for Fee Amounts
Additional Vacation Rental Fees
- 1163 – Annual Monitoring Fee
Recurring fee paid by the vacation rental owner per property
- 1164 – Property Manager Certification Fee
One-time fee paid by the Property Manager when obtaining certification from Permit Sonoma
- 1162 – Noticing Fee
Paid by the vacation rental owner when changing the Property Manager for a vacation rental property (for notifying neighbors of the change)
View Fee Schedule for Fee Amounts
Cessation of Vacation Rental Use
Vacation Rental Zoning Permits and Hosted Rental Zoning Permits expire automatically upon the sale or transfer of a vacation rental or hosted rental property. Property owners who have sold their property should also let Permit Sonoma know as soon as possible in order to not be held liable for any vacation rental or hosted rental use of the property once it has been sold.
This form should be completed and submitted in all cases where the home is no longer being used as a vacation rental or hosted rental.
Fill out the Affidavit of Cessation of Vacation Rental or Hosted Rental Use (PDF: 158 kB) and follow the instructions on the form for submission.
2550 Ventura Avenue
Sonoma County Transient Occupancy Tax
Information and Forms
Permit History Lookup
Find out if an address has a Vacation Rental Permit, and find out the Property Manager's 24/7 phone number.
Find out your property's zoning or if the Williamson Act Land Contract applies.