Permit and Resource Management Department Banner

Hosted Rental Permit

Hosted rentals are the rental of a single room or sleeping area within a single-family dwelling, where the property owner remains in residence. Hosted rentals do not include vacation rentals permitted in accordance with the Sonoma County Code for vacation rentals, or occasional home exchanges that are not otherwise subject to Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT). Hosted rentals must meet Performance Standards to ensure compatibility with surrounding residential uses.

Vacation Rentals vs. Hosted Rentals

Find out which situation applies to your property.


Where are Hosted Rentals Allowed?

Hosted rentals are allowed (with permit) in the following locations:

  • In homes in single-family residential zoning districts (AR, RR, and R1)
  • Agricultural and resource zones including DA, LEA, LIA, and RRD
  • The Exclusion (X) Combining District

Hosted rentals are not allowed in the following locations:

  • Higher-density residential districts (R2 and R3)
  • Accessory Dwelling Units
  • Farm Family, Agricultural Employee, or Farmworker housing units
  • Non-habitable structures

If you are unsure of what your zoning is, please consult Permit Sonoma's Official Zoning Database.

Permit Type Required

A Zoning Permit is required for all hosted rentals. Hosted rentals of not more than one room or sleeping area that meet the standards of the Sonoma County Code are allowed as provided by the underlying zone, subject to issuance of a Zoning Permit. Only one hosted rental is allowed per parcel. A whole-house vacation rental is not a hosted rental, even if the property owner resides in another dwelling unit on the same property. A hosted rental may not be located on the same site as a vacation rental unless a Use Permit has been obtained for the combined use.

Apply for a Hosted Rental Permit

Hosted Rental Permit Application Package

The following must be submitted in person. They are not accepted by mail.

  1. Hosted Rental Zoning Permit Fee (as of July 5, 2017 through June 30, 2018):
         $171.00 (includes Tech Enhancement Fee)
    • Hosted Rental Application Forms
      All forms listed must be completed prior to bringing to the Permit Sonoma office.

    Cessation of Hosted Rental Use

    Vacation Rental Zoning Permits and Hosted Rental Zoning Permits expire automatically upon the sale or transfer of a vacation rental or hosted rental property. Property owners who have sold their property should also let Permit Sonoma know as soon as possible in order to not be held liable for any vacation rental or hosted rental use of the property once it has been sold.

    This form should be completed and submitted in all cases where the home is no longer being used as a vacation rental or hosted rental.

    Fill out the Affidavit of Cessation of Vacation Rental or Hosted Rental Use (PDF: 158 kB) and follow the instructions on the form for submission.

    Contact Information

    Business Hours
    Monday – Friday
    10:30 AM to 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM
    Contact us by Phone
    Permit Sonoma
    2550 Ventura Avenue
    Santa Rosa, CA 95403
    38.465074, -122.723705

    More Resources

    Sonoma County Transient Occupancy Tax
    Information and Forms

    Permit History Lookup
    Find out if an address has a Vacation Rental Permit, and find out the Property Manager's 24/7 phone number.

    Zoning Information
    Find out your property's zoning or if the Williamson Act Land Contract applies.